The Student Room Group

are exam remarks legit?

i remember paying 35 quid or something and then magically getting a few more marks or a higher grade completely
Reply 1
Original post by yeetouttawindow
i remember paying 35 quid or something and then magically getting a few more marks or a higher grade completely

I think they are legit, I was apparently 1 Mark off the next grade, got it remarked... And stayed with the same grade 😑😑😑 :getmecoat:
What do you mean by legit? Another examiner goes through and if they find the markscheme has been mis-applied, they give the extra marks.

The stats are here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/851640/Reviews_of_marking_and_moderation_for_GCSE_and_GCE_summer_2019_series.pdf, and to be honest they're not that low. 20% of challenged grades GCSE changed, (14% for A-level) and 37% of challenged marks changed. (but usually to within +- 2 of the original mark) Expectedly, most of these marks in arts and humanities subjects and the %age of marks changed is probably higher for those. Makes you wonder how many grades issued are wrong. Ideally GCSEs and A-levels would be double marked as a matter of process, and the higher/average/etc. grade given. (I'm guessing this has been looked into before)

There are a few freak accidents in there, 25 students who got their A-level english literature remarked changed by 2 or more grades. (making up just over 40% of the cases where a student went up by 2 or more grades) 215 for the GCSE, but those are very rare if you look at the cohort numbers.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
What do you mean by legit? Another examiner goes through and if they find the markscheme has been mis-applied, they give the extra marks.

The stats are here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/851640/Reviews_of_marking_and_moderation_for_GCSE_and_GCE_summer_2019_series.pdf, and to be honest they're not that low. 20% of challenged grades GCSE changed, (14% for A-level) and 37% of challenged marks changed. (but usually to within +- 2 of the original mark) Expectedly, most of these marks in arts and humanities subjects and the %age of marks changed is probably higher for those. Makes you wonder how many grades issued are wrong. Ideally GCSEs and A-levels would be double marked as a matter of process, and the higher/average/etc. grade given. (I'm guessing this has been looked into before)

There are a few freak accidents in there, 25 students who got their A-level english literature remarked changed by 2 or more grades. (making up just over 40% of the cases where a student went up by 2 or more grades) 215 for the GCSE, but those are very rare if you look at the cohort numbers.

a bribe to find more marks

not really, you can pay them and they can find less marks too (not often)

Bribe? They refund the money if the mark changes! If you wanted to be cynical, you could say they'd try their best not to find errors in marking. (they wouldn't, examiners aren't really your enemy like that)

Also marks can go down.
(edited 2 years ago)

You get the money back if the grade changes - it's legit.
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
The stats are here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/851640/Reviews_of_marking_and_moderation_for_GCSE_and_GCE_summer_2019_series.pdf, and to be honest they're not that low. 20% of challenged grades GCSE changed, (14% for A-level) and 37% of challenged marks changed. (but usually to within +- 2 of the original mark)

Since with Edexcel you can get a copy of your marked paper back for free before deciding whether to go for a review of marking, and you can pay to have a look for other A levels and some GCSE, most of the time people should only be going for the review when there's been some indication it's been mismarked. If the student gives their permission, in some subjects my school goes through every Edexcel paper where mark is close to the next grade up to see if they'd recommend a review. A review success rate of 80% does not suggest that 80% of papers are mismarked, just that the department is pretty good at identifying which papers are worth trying. They may have 're-marked' 30 to find 4 worth trying.
Reply 8

I've met a few parents who seem to think it's a bribe - 'I paid £54, why hasn't the grade changed?' - but it is just a reflect of the cost of the process to get a paper reviewed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending