anabundanceofas
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! Just a bit of background on me to provide context: I'm 17, an EU citizen, and I've lived in the UK since 2012 (I've pretty much grown up here). I speak fluent English and I even take English Lit at A Level. It is not the first language I've learned, but I also feel the most comfortable communicating in it.

I'm filling out the personal details for my UCAS application and one of the sections is on whether English is your first language. I'm conflicted as to how to answer it - do I go by technicality or fluency? If I go by technicality, I would then have to give information about IELTS and/or TOEFL, neither of which I've done. Does this mean I have to take the IELTS?

If any EU citizen / immigrant / first generation student has applied to UCAS, I would also massively appreciate any sort of advice on how to navigate this whole application process from that aspect.

Thank you!
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anabundanceofas)
Hi! Just a bit of background on me to provide context: I'm 17, an EU citizen, and I've lived in the UK since 2012 (I've pretty much grown up here). I speak fluent English and I even take English Lit at A Level. It is not the first language I've learned, but I also feel the most comfortable communicating in it.

I'm filling out the personal details for my UCAS application and one of the sections is on whether English is your first language. I'm conflicted as to how to answer it - do I go by technicality or fluency? If I go by technicality, I would then have to give information about IELTS and/or TOEFL, neither of which I've done. Does this mean I have to take the IELTS?

If any EU citizen / immigrant / first generation student has applied to UCAS, I would also massively appreciate any sort of advice on how to navigate this whole application process from that aspect.

Thank you!
The answer to this question doesn’t affect whether you are asked to take an IELTS or other English test.

Each uni will asses your listed English qualifications, as well as your recent residency and education to determine this.
anabundanceofas
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
The answer to this question doesn’t affect whether you are asked to take an IELTS or other English test.

Each uni will asses your listed English qualifications, as well as your recent residency and education to determine this.
Thank you!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually if you have been in an English speaking country, receiving A level education in English, you will not be asked for IELTS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed