Will I struggle with a level maths and physics?

Watch
Smhky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just got my provisional GCSE results. I got an A in physics, a B in Mathematics ( I sat intermediate tier so that's the highest I could get ) and an A* in Maths Numeracy. Taking into consideration the fact that: there was no consistency in the difficulty levels of the maths exams as they made the questions themselves (one paper would be near impossible, while the other would be easy like a foundation paper), I'm in set 2 so my maths teacher taught us the higher content for Numeracy in 3 months in lockdown on microsoft teams and that I didn't revise at all, will I struggle at a-level physics and maths?P.s Numeracy is a paper with more wordy, problem like questions and Mathematics is just straight questions.
Last edited by Smhky; 1 month ago
Emily2001x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know about A-Level Physics but I guess it depends how much you work for Maths.
In my experience, I got an 8 in GCSE Maths and did Further Maths at GCSE level and got a B. Initially, I understood the content well at A-Level standard but the jump starts to get bigger from GCSE to A-Level and it got to the point where I really struggled. I did a course which had one pure maths paper, one pure and statistics paper and one pure and mechanics paper.
If you do physics at A-Level I guess there will probably be an overlap between the physics and maths A-Level which could be very beneficial as I know some people in my class who did that and found that it really helped them. However, I wasn't particularly good at physics and struggled to understand the content even though revision and ultimately didn't get the grade I wanted.
However, don't let this phase you, your provisional results are excellent and don't let my own and others potential struggles influence you into not doing subjects you ultimately want to do. And anyways you can always start the subject at the start of the year and there will probably be a trial period and if you are not enjoying it or struggling to understand it, you should be allowed to change your subjects
Smhky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Emily2001x)
I don't know about A-Level Physics but I guess it depends how much you work for Maths.
In my experience, I got an 8 in GCSE Maths and did Further Maths at GCSE level and got a B. Initially, I understood the content well at A-Level standard but the jump starts to get bigger from GCSE to A-Level and it got to the point where I really struggled. I did a course which had one pure maths paper, one pure and statistics paper and one pure and mechanics paper.
If you do physics at A-Level I guess there will probably be an overlap between the physics and maths A-Level which could be very beneficial as I know some people in my class who did that and found that it really helped them. However, I wasn't particularly good at physics and struggled to understand the content even though revision and ultimately didn't get the grade I wanted.
However, don't let this phase you, your provisional results are excellent and don't let my own and others potential struggles influence you into not doing subjects you ultimately want to do. And anyways you can always start the subject at the start of the year and there will probably be a trial period and if you are not enjoying it or struggling to understand it, you should be allowed to change your subjects
Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (50)
28.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
7.91%
No I am happy with my choice (99)
55.93%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.91%

Watched Threads