When should I register with a new GP

Watch
flossyelvidge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm moving from Cornwall to Derby so I'm going to have to register with a GP whilst I'm studying. when is the best time to do this and is it even necessary, any insight would be really helpful
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So you'll live there most of the year?

You should register as soon as you move of course.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by flossyelvidge)
I'm moving from Cornwall to Derby so I'm going to have to register with a GP whilst I'm studying. when is the best time to do this and is it even necessary, any insight would be really helpful
Usually you register in induction week but do tell your current GP that you are studying away.
flossyelvidge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Usually you register in induction week but do tell your current GP that you are studying away.
okay great thank you
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
but do tell your current GP that you are studying away.
There's no real need for this - once you register with a new practice, all your records are transferred there and you can't go back to see your old GP (unless you re-register or register as a temporary resident).
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
There's no real need for this - once you register with a new practice, all your records are transferred there and you can't go back to see your old GP (unless you re-register or register as a temporary resident).
If you tell them they can tell you what to do if you are unwell over the holiday - that's what our practice tells students.
martin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should do it as soon as you can. If you're ill at university and need a doctor's note, for example, you don't really want to have to go home to see a GP or have to register as a temporary resident with a local GP.

If you take medication regularly, it's probably best to get a prescription for that and register with the new GP shortly after that. This should mean that the new GP gets your medical records before you need the next repeat prescription to be issued.
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi flossyelvidge

Great to hear you're coming to study with us there is a doctors surgery on campus, which is super handy if you're moving to the city etc - you can read a little bit about how to register, as well as what to do when you're at home during the holidays, here: https://www.parkmedical.org.uk/unive...w-to-register/

I hope this helps!
^Emily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (94)
11.42%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (85)
10.33%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.64%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.86%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.94%
Financial worries (57)
6.93%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (38)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.04%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (80)
9.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.9%

Watched Threads