Imagineaworld567
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have chosen sociology, law and psychology - are these good for studying law at degree level?
yara56394484
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Law doesn’t require any specific subjects, maybe doing an EPQ on law would be good although this is not necessary. Just focus on getting high grades
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imagineaworld567)
I have chosen sociology, law and psychology - are these good for studying law at degree level?
Hey

They sound like good subjects, although for a Law degree, no specific subjects are actually required
However, if you enjoy the subjects then definitely pick them- you will find it so much more enjoyable if they are subjects you genuinely like!
I did A-Level Psychology and I really enjoyed it- i now study it at University. There is a lot of variation within content and learning styles which is great

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep
random1997
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imagineaworld567)
I have just completed my law degree at a top Russell Group university. In my first ever lecture in week 1 of first year, I remember them saying that they don't like to accept people who did Law at A-Level, for two reasons. Firstly because they view it as a 'doss' subject - it's not difficult to get a good grade, and so getting a good grade in Chemistry for example is more indicative of your academic ability. Secondly, they don't like Law at A-Level because the A-Levels syllabus is not good, and like many A-Levels, they teach you things that are not strictly speaking 'true' in order to simplify complex concepts. So when you turn up on day 1, they then have to spend all of first year trying to unteach you the bad habits you learned during A-Level law. So both for your academic future if you do study Law, and to make your life easier for you to get into a good Law course, I would strongly advise that you switch the A-Level law to another subject. It can be almost anything else (when they say that there are no pre-requisites for Law, they really mean it), but they really do hate A-Level Law, and you will be disadvantaged. At least in applying for my university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (113)
45.2%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.2%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.8%

Watched Threads