Irresponsible
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I did really badly in my mocks and plan on getting the grades in the real exam so I'll have to take a gap year. I don't really understand the process to this, for example do you apply for a gap year or do you just not apply for UNIs. I really want to do medicine will taking a Gap year hinder my chances of getting into a good school. So if you could just unload all the information you know about gap years of be very appreciative.
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Irresponsible)
So I did really badly in my mocks and plan on getting the grades in the real exam so I'll have to take a gap year. I don't really understand the process to this, for example do you apply for a gap year or do you just not apply for UNIs. I really want to do medicine will taking a Gap year hinder my chances of getting into a good school. So if you could just unload all the information you know about gap years of be very appreciative.
Hi!

A gap year is a good chance to take some time to prepare for uni, however you feel best. If you think you need some time to learn more about your course or decide which courses you're interested in, spend time doing that. Otherwise, a lot of people do some work experience in a field related to their course. This can be a good way to spend your time and will make a great accompaniment to your application. But really, you'll know what you need to work on the most and this is a great chance to spend some time working on that before heading to university.

In terms of actually taking the gap year, if you are accepted this year for universities you could ask for deferred entry (entering the course in a years time). Some courses do and don't allow this for various reasons, so it is best just to check with the university. Otherwise, you can simply apply next year, around the same time as you applied this year/last year using mostly the same process. You can go through UCAS, make your applications and submit your personal statement as you have previously.

Hope that's cleared some of it up for you, and if there's anything else you need to know just send a DM or reply here.

Cameron
Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads