highers vs advanced highers HELP!

Watch this thread
HanieOfRivia
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
everyone i know is taking advanced highers this year but im not, since i only decided what i wanted to do recently. i heard unis prefer advanced highers rather than just highers? im wondering if i can still get into the course i want with just highers. the qualifications for the course are BBBC but im worried the lack of AH will put me at a disadvantage. this year im taking 4 highers and last year i did 3.
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
most universities don’t require AH so I would worry too much! If the university says it wants Highers and not advanced Highers in the entry requirements your completely fine. It depends on what university you want to go to , because some recommend AH similarly some universities dislike Them because it’s basically the same qualification and nothing new. If you got 3 Highers last year you should definitely focus on the 4 you are doing this year because Highers are often more valuable than AH unless you are going to apply to England. So if definitely focus on doing your 4 Highers this year and a good personal statement should be good!
Last edited by Ototot; 10 months ago
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Scottish unis won’t ask for advanced highers unless it’s a very competitive course, and if you have at least 6 highers by the time you leave 6th year you’ll be fine.

My entry requirements for Glasgow were AAAAA at higher or A at adv higher and AAABB. I had 5 As so I got an unconditional.

If you want to apply to English unis I’d be more worried about advanced highers. When I was looking for unis to apply to a lot of the English unis I thought about wanted at least one or maybe two advanced highers- and I’m applying for modern foreign languages which are not very competitive courses.

But if you’re staying in Scotland you’ll be fine. Advanced highers are only really necessary for those who want to do medicine or law if they want to stick out from other applicants. Don’t worry about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
18.99%
The paper was reasonable (67)
42.41%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
17.72%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
20.89%

Watched Threads