Low A-Levels and top graduate jobs

Watch
smengin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,I have noticed that for many advertised job roles with top companies for management consultancy I do not meet the minimum A-Level requirements. I achieved CCC at A-Level Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics with a B in my AS-Level biology.However, I consider these A level results to be an anomaly as I have achieved a first class MEng degree in Chemical Engineering with a year in industry. Is there any chance with applying with these firms or would I just get automatically filtered out?What options would I have? Would it be worth retaking my A-Levels? Or should I just go for companies without these requirements with less pay?Thank you for your time
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by smengin)
Hi all,I have noticed that for many advertised job roles with top companies for management consultancy I do not meet the minimum A-Level requirements. I achieved CCC at A-Level Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics with a B in my AS-Level biology.However, I consider these A level results to be an anomaly as I have achieved a first class MEng degree in Chemical Engineering with a year in industry. Is there any chance with applying with these firms or would I just get automatically filtered out?What options would I have? Would it be worth retaking my A-Levels? Or should I just go for companies without these requirements with less pay?Thank you for your time
Look up what an anomaly is - your profile shows a trajectory, not an anomaly - unless you got all A* at GCSE.

The only way to know if you will get filtered out is to apply, and make sure the rest of your application is strong, ie you've also done internships and the like with blue chip companies and have a string of experiences where you have made a difference. The YinI will help.

Re-taking your A levels isn't a solution to anything. They want to see a continuous history of academic excellence, and that ship has sailed for you.

You either apply and see what happens, or you get an industry job to 3-5 years, excel in that and then see if you can move across as an experienced hire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (53)
28.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.2%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
55.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads