TianaGarner
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone have any advice for unis for modern foreign languages, preferably I want to find one that I can take two languages at beginners level (French and German specifically)
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TianaGarner)
Does anyone have any advice for unis for modern foreign languages, preferably I want to find one that I can take two languages at beginners level (French and German specifically)
I thought unis required an a level in the language of study but I could be wrong. Wouldn't it be worth learning a decent amount of the language before doing a degree in it?
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which subjects are you doing for A Level?

Have you done any languages at GCSE?
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
MIKESPIKE10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can take two languages ab initio but it's not worth it - most people struggle learning one language from scratch let alone two. Study one post a-level and one beginner's or just do one language mixed in with literature. I do ab initio Russian and (post a-level) German at UCL and off-track Polish and majority can't hack the one beginner's language. Just make sure you love the languages and are doing it for the right reasons and not on a whim like the majority of language students.
multirenaissance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, Glad to see a fellow linguist here. I think depends on your grades. It depends where you want to be city/town/greenery/beach?
I would consider Kings, Reading,Warwick maybe a beach uni. I had the option Queen Mary for Literature or South Bank went to South Bank as year abroad and more real world experience. Looking at beaches now here and abroad. Good luck bon courage
TianaGarner
Rep:
?
(Original post by MIKESPIKE10)
you can take two languages ab initio but it's not worth it - most people struggle learning one language from scratch let alone two. Study one post a-level and one beginner's or just do one language mixed in with literature. I do ab initio Russian and (post a-level) German at UCL and off-track Polish and majority can't hack the one beginner's language. Just make sure you love the languages and are doing it for the right reasons and not on a whim like the majority of language students.
I love languages a lot and more or less plan to base my career around it, I’m doing GCSE alongside my a level courses at the moment in Japanese. I don’t think it’s really whim as it’s been something I’ve been wanting to do for a while good luck with your languages and thanks for the advice!
TianaGarner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
Which subjects are you doing for A Level?

Have you done any languages at GCSE?
I’m currently doing a Japanese GCSE alongside my a levels because I didn’t get to do a language at gcse because of my school. I’m doing English language, religious studies and classical civilisations
TianaGarner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hoc est Bellum)
I thought unis required an a level in the language of study but I could be wrong. Wouldn't it be worth learning a decent amount of the language before doing a degree in it?
Some unis allow initio languages (ie not knowing the language beforehand) I’m doing Japanese GCSE right now but most universities I’ve seen don’t allow it as a main language only a minor one
TianaGarner
Rep:
?
(Original post by multirenaissance)
Hi, Glad to see a fellow linguist here. I think depends on your grades. It depends where you want to be city/town/greenery/beach?
I would consider Kings, Reading,Warwick maybe a beach uni. I had the option Queen Mary for Literature or South Bank went to South Bank as year abroad and more real world experience. Looking at beaches now here and abroad. Good luck bon courage
Hello! What beach unis would you suggest looking at? I think I’m either looking for a city or a beach but haven’t decided entirely
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's unusual to be able to take two languages from scratch, particularly European languages, and especially French which even in degrees where one subject is taken post-A-level, is usually only available as a post-A-level language. Most MFL degrees in European languages require you to either study just one language from scratch, or more than one language with at least one as a post-A-level language.

Asian, Middle Eastern, and African languages tend to be available from scratch (indeed they are usually only available ab initio). Ancient languages (Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, Akkadian, Egyptian, etc) are usually available ab initio, although you may only be able to start with one ancient language from scratch and pick up the other one later in the course (this is quite common for classics/Greek and Latin, although ancient Near Eastern languages and ancient South Asian languages may not be so restrictive).

You'll have to look at what options are available but it's more likely that you would need to start with just one language ab initio and then potentially you may be able to pick up the second one later in the course. Also pretty much all the courses offering French that I've seen offer it only as post-A-level so that might be harder to find ab initio.
University of Birmingham
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi TianaGarner,

I hope you're okay! Here at Birmingham we allow students to study two languages at beginners level, as long as long of these two languages is either French or Spanish. It sounds like your combination of French and German from beginners would be a great choice.

We actually have a really large number of students studying languages from scratch here at Birmingham, this is because our programme allows students to build a bespoke degree programme with up to three languages. Lots of our students will study an advanced language with either one or two beginners languages alongside that, so you should be in great company as all of our beginner classes are taught together, regardless of whether you have another language at A Level.

I hope this helps but feel free to have a look at our Modern Languages programme and let me know if you have any questions! - Molly
multirenaissance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh wow I’m so inspired to see so many doing languages and great that UCL Birmingham etc offer them. Any one doing non European wow I can’t get my head around. I’ve studied at South Bank with year abroad and Westminster plus other courses. Looking at Reading, St Mary’s, Oxford, Bournemouth, UCL for masters. Shame lost everything would have done a couple. You can also learn languages at the language centre and obviously films, music, radio, immersion helps. I’m into Latin as well wish done more of.
TianaGarner
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Birmingham)
Hi TianaGarner,

I hope you're okay! Here at Birmingham we allow students to study two languages at beginners level, as long as long of these two languages is either French or Spanish. It sounds like your combination of French and German from beginners would be a great choice.

We actually have a really large number of students studying languages from scratch here at Birmingham, this is because our programme allows students to build a bespoke degree programme with up to three languages. Lots of our students will study an advanced language with either one or two beginners languages alongside that, so you should be in great company as all of our beginner classes are taught together, regardless of whether you have another language at A Level.

I hope this helps but feel free to have a look at our Modern Languages programme and let me know if you have any questions! - Molly
Oh! Thank you so much I’ll be sure to check it out!!!
SirNoodles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know Sheffield are famous for offering 3 languages including 2 and beginners' level. It's generally not recommended to do two beginners' languages as starting two languages at once is quite hard and not recommended in the language learning community. However, only you know yourself and whether or not you'd be able to handle it
TianaGarner
Rep:
?
(Original post by SirNoodles)
I know Sheffield are famous for offering 3 languages including 2 and beginners' level. It's generally not recommended to do two beginners' languages as starting two languages at once is quite hard and not recommended in the language learning community. However, only you know yourself and whether or not you'd be able to handle it
Yeah true I've heard learning two is quite difficult, at the moment I'm doing Japanese GCSE and in my spare time learning dutch and not finding it too bad I feel french and german are different enough from each other that it won't be too much of an issue so I'm hoping it'll be okay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads