The Student Room Group

Combination to be a Computer Scientist

HelloWhich A’level combinations will get me into University for any job in the tech industry.
Reply 1
Original post by michaelvgeorge
HelloWhich A’level combinations will get me into University for any job in the tech industry.

Hi, you'll find that a lot of like minded people will be taking physics, maths and computer science at a level. Although these are the best three to go for, physics can be swapped for something else if needs be, for example I take maths, computer science and economics as I didn't enjoy physics that much at GCSE.

It really depends on what you are going into, you'll almost definitely need physics and maths for engineering, or maths and computer science for a more cyber orientated degree, but taking physics maths and computer science gives you a broad set of career paths and can basically get you anywhere in the industry. If you are really good at maths and want an edge, further maths is also a good option. Hope this helps :smile:

There's no single combination of A Levels which will make you suitable for any job in the tech industry. And by the time you're applying for real jobs, your A Levels won't matter all that much anyway.

A Levels are primarily your stepping stone to get you into university, onto an apprenticeship, etc. So look at the university courses you want to attend, see what their entry requirements are and go from there. Some universities have no specific subject requirements, although A Level Maths is a very common requirement for CompSci degrees. Of course, the tech industry isn't just about Computer Science.

Make sure you have A-level maths.
Further Maths makes u better application but its not a prerequisite whereas a-level maths is usually a prerequisite at most places.

And then a science.

So maths, a science and a third subject will be completely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest