Coursework advice and help on offer, choosing the novels to work with

Watch
DodieXX
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone!
I recently started doing my A-Level English Lit coursework, and by started I mean legit just talked about it, and I'm thinking of comparing 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath to 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen, and how they present the roles of women in society.
To help me with this I went out and bought a bunch of small post it notes and created a color coded key covering these 8 sections:

- Objectification of women
- Female fragility
- Societal expectations
- female identity
- sexuality
- marriage
- feminist approach/statement
&
I then went through both texts and color coded them to make sure that there was enough material to work with since I hadn't worked with the bell jar before and was worried that it wouldn't work with my question, but I think it does (I need to take it to my teacher on Friday).
For each page or certain quote I then expanded on the point slightly, with just some small bullet points, just so I could remember what I needed to write about in my course work!

This method has really helped me decide, something which I initially had a lot of trouble doing and I just wanted to share it on here in case someone on here was struggling too!
Jaegis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ooh, The Bell Jar! One of my classmates is comparing The Bell Jar with Persuasion, so almost the same comparison as yours, and she's really enjoying it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads