textbook reprints - neccesary?

Watch
tobias.k
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi,

if you know anything about textbooks, could ya please lend some advice?

i need to buy 'Introduction to Metallurgy' by sir alan cottrell for uni. there's a 1979 print and a 1995 print. both are second edition.

is the newer reprint neccesary? like will there be new content, or is it just a facelift?

older one is cheaper, you know how money be

cheers
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Firstly I would see if there a copy of either textbook in the library - which would save your money.

If not then I would recommend going for the newer version of the book if there are new chapters in there, particularly if the difference in cost between them is minimal - if the difference is significant then the older version will be fine it might just mean some of the pages / chapters might not match up exactly with what is referred too in lectures, but I'm sure you will be able to work that out anyway

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
martin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tobias.k)
if you know anything about textbooks, could ya please lend some advice?

i need to buy 'Introduction to Metallurgy' by sir alan cottrell for uni. there's a 1979 print and a 1995 print. both are second edition.

is the newer reprint neccesary? like will there be new content, or is it just a facelift?
A reprint is normally just that -- another printing of the same book.

Sometimes there might be minor changes.

Here's a definition from the publishing industry:

What’s the difference between a reprint and a new edition?

A reprint means more copies are being printed with no substantial changes. Perhaps a few typos are being fixed. A new edition means that there has been substantial change: content has been altered in a way that might make a customer complain that this was not the product that was expected. Or, text has been changed to add a new feature, such as a preface or appendix or additional content. Or, content has been revised. Or, the book has been redesigned.
(from https://www.isbn.org/faqs_formats_reprints_editions)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads