Debit card for online shopping?

Watch
username5701218
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don't have a credit card, but I've heard that using a debit card for online purchases is unsafe. Should I not online shop until I get a credit card, or is it ok to use a debit card?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would using a debit card be unsafe? Debit card purchases use security checks.
chatsmilady
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have been purchasing many things via online recently using debit card and there was no issue or reason why it shouldn't be safe. If you feel something suspicious about a payment you made then you can contact the bank to resolve the issue or you can just use paypal to pay thing.
username5701218
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Why would using a debit card be unsafe? Debit card purchases use security checks.
I'm not sure, but I've read that using it makes your account more vulnerable to fraud, and it's more difficult to get your money back if something happens?
username5701218
Rep:
?
(Original post by chatsmilady)
I have been purchasing many things via online recently using debit card and there was no issue or reason why it shouldn't be safe. If you feel something suspicious about a payment you made then you can contact the bank to resolve the issue or you can just use paypal to pay thing.
that makes me less nervous then, I think I'm just reading too many horror stories online. most people I know use debit cards to buy online anyway (I'm 16) and it's not like I'll ever have too much money in my account
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by starrynight12)
I'm not sure, but I've read that using it makes your account more vulnerable to fraud, and it's more difficult to get your money back if something happens?
If you use your debit card sensibly then you should have no issues. I’ve never come across this idea that credit cards are more safer.
username5701218
Rep:
?
If you use your debit card sensibly then you should have no issues. I’ve never come across this idea that credit cards are more safer.
ok thanks, I don't plan on buying anything from dodgy websites or anything so I hopefully should be fine
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Many websites allow you to use PayPal to pay.
username5701218
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
Many websites allow you to use PayPal to pay.
ohh ok thanks!
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know all the ins and outs of this, but don't credit cards not have you on the hook for unauthorized purchases in the case of fraud whereas debit cards will not refund the payment just stop working when fraud is detected?

That said, I used a debit card for years with no problem, but now use a credit card (it gives a nice cash back bonus)
Last edited by Sabertooth; 1 month ago
martin7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Credit cards have the advantage of Section 75 protection for purchases over £100. This gives you more protection if you have problems with a purchase, in that the credit card company is jointly liable with the vendor if there are problems with the transaction.
martin7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
I don't know all the ins and outs of this, but don't credit cards not have you on the hook for unauthorized purchases in the case of fraud whereas debit cards will not refund the payment just stop working when fraud is detected?
If a transaction is made that you haven't authorised, then it doesn't matter whether it's a credit or a debit card -- the money has to be refunded. (Obviously with a debit card the money has already come out of your account, whereas with a credit card you can raise the dispute before you pay.)
username5701218
Rep:
?

That said, I used a debit card for years with no problem, but now use a credit card (it gives a nice cash back bonus)
yeah that's what I read, it will be a hassle to get my money back if anything happens, but If I just keep an eye on my account it should be ok hopefully
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by starrynight12)
I don't have a credit card, but I've heard that using a debit card for online purchases is unsafe. Should I not online shop until I get a credit card, or is it ok to use a debit card?
It used to be the case that only credit cards gave you the option of charging back transactions which were disputed for some reason. However you can now chargeback on both types of card so the protection is similar. Credit card transactions over £100 are covered under additional consumer rights, which is why a lot of sites recommend that you use one if you can. But there's no technical reason why using a debit card is more unsafe. There's general tips and advice for shopping online here:

Shopping Online Securely (National Cyber Security Centre)
username5701218
Rep:
?
(Original post by martin7)
Credit cards have the advantage of Section 75 protection for purchases over £100. This gives you more protection if you have problems with a purchase, in that the credit card company is jointly liable with the vendor if there are problems with the transaction.
yeah, that's what I mean by it being safer, but I suppose of I never have too much money in the account, and I keep an eye on it, it shouldn't be too much of an issue?
Last edited by username5701218; 1 month ago
username5701218
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
It used to be the case that only credit cards gave you the option of charging back transactions which were disputed for some reason. However you can now chargeback on both types of card so the protection is similar. Credit card transactions over £100 are covered under additional consumer rights, which is why a lot of sites recommend that you use one if you can. But there's no technical reason why using a debit card is more unsafe. There's general tips and advice for shopping online here:

Shopping Online Securely (National Cyber Security Centre)
oooh thank you so much!
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

To be honest, I use a debit card so this is news to me.

P.S. some banks give you cash back on debit cards too.
(Original post by martin7)
Nice to know, thanks.
SadiyaSquared
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
make a paypal account. trust me its a massive game changer, makes the transaction so easy and its relatively safe
dissertationfog
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you do want a credit card, then try a prepaid card like Pockit. I have one as it means that if the card ever got abused they could only ever get out the amount of money on the card, rather than the entire contents of my bank account as would happen with my debit card. There are stops and checks to prevent that happening, but your exposure is naturally greater.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Credit cards give some additional protection if the items are not fit for purpose and the vendor is not playing fair. They also typically have an interest free credit period. Nothing wrong with using debit cards though, I do it all the while. PayPal is another option
Last edited by Zarek; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (50)
28.41%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
7.95%
No I am happy with my choice (98)
55.68%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.95%

Watched Threads