Is there a difference between "age of consent" and "consenting adult"?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
On the age gap subreddit on Reddit I think they take the term "as long as it's legal " too far. I agree that age gaps are no ones business but they think that when someone is at the age of consent they can sleep with older people and I don't agree with that. For clarification my stance is as long as the younger person is 18 and in college I don't care and yes I know that the moment you turn 18 your not a magically turned adult but your legal status did change from legal minor to legal adult. So for me a consenting adult is 18+ not 16+ or 17+ but that's just my opinion. At what age do you consider someone a legal consenting adult?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
By definition, an consenting adult has to be 18.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
On the age gap subreddit on Reddit I think they take the term "as long as it's legal " too far. I agree that age gaps are no ones business but they think that when someone is at the age of consent they can sleep with older people and I don't agree with that. For clarification my stance is as long as the younger person is 18 and in college I don't care and yes I know that the moment you turn 18 your not a magically turned adult but your legal status did change from legal minor to legal adult. So for me a consenting adult is 18+ not 16+ or 17+ but that's just my opinion. At what age do you consider someone a legal consenting adult?
the law says once a person is at the age of consent they can consent to sex with anyone (legal)
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some jurisdictions have age gap rules before adulthood and I can see an argument for it
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I think this is a very interesting question that poses a philosophical answer, that initially, may be obvious, but when considering the entire concept, it becomes more bewildering and difficult.

I was raised with a learning disability, a strong and intense developmental brain delay, which means I didn't really understand, process, or respond to information until my brain begun developing when I was around 16-18. That means, when I was 18, I had no understanding on consent, sex, or the world around me. Which means, any sexual advances, I wouldn't understand or be able to consent, because of my limited brain capacity and function because of my learning disability. Hence, age of consent would apply due to the law, but, because of my limited brain development, I wouldn't have been able to properly consent like everyone else; I wouldn't understand or process what is going on, or why it's happening.

On the contrary, imagine a very intelligent young teenager, aged 14. If they had a high intelligence, with a great understanding, with a brain that has developed much more efficiently than others, where they understand sex and consent, then one can argue that their brain has developed faster to understand the age of consent; hence, they would be able to consensually understand their behaviour, knowing what is happening and why it's happening.

In contrast, despite me being over 18, I was not at the mental capacity to understand what was going on, or why it was happening - if such a thing was to occur.

Now, this is where the philosophical part comes in that makes it more difficult:

Assume 100 years from now there is a brain transplant operation. The ability to swap a brain from a young teenager (12/13) to a man's body (25/30). If that young teenager had sex with another teenager, would they go to prison? They are of 12/13 years of age in terms of the brain, however, their body, is beyond the age at which one can consent. So, would they go to prison, despite their brain being a teenager's, but their body/appearance, not.

Now, let's compare this with the opposite: imagine you are a grown man, who is 45, and you swap your brain into a teenager's body, 13/14 year old. Your brain is fully developed and have sex with another teenager (14/15), would you go to prison? How would you prove that their brain consensually approved of sex? In which case would be wrong? Which would be right?

This is where the age of consent and consenting adult complicates its self.

You see, this is exactly the same comparison between me and the 14 year old. Despite me being over 18 many years ago, I would not have been able to consent to any sexual advances, due to limited brain capacity because of my brain development delay. However, a highly intelligent 14 year old that has an advanced, intelligent brain, would understand and have full meaning behind sex. Therefore, this is an extremely complicated issue in the grand scheme of everything.

From my perspective, I believe consent originates not from the appearance/age of the body, but rather, the intelligence and understanding of the brain. As this complicates consent, the easiest solution for now is for the age of consent to remain in place. But, as society progresses, this will no longer be sufficient to address consent, and instead, I believe: courts will be assessing one's ability and understanding of whether they have the mental capacity and brain function to consent, rather than pure age.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On the age gap subreddit on Reddit I think they take the term "as long as it's legal " too far.
I hate Redditors, Reddit.com = bad take central. just needed to get that off my chest.
Last edited by ROTL94; 1 month ago
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well it doesn't matter if you agree with it, they're going to legally do whatever they want lol.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
the difference is about the ability to consent to sex with someone who may be in a position of power or authority. so a 16-year-old cannot legally consent to sex with let's say their teacher cuz they're still considered vulnerable and may be taken advantage of; but an 18-year-old can legally consent to sex with their university professor cuz they're no longer considered vulnerable in that sense ('consenting adult' ). make sense
Last edited by Joleee; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
I hate Redditors, Reddit.com = bad take central. just needed to get that off my chest.
Why do you hate Reddit so much?
OctoberRain7
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
You need to be over the age of consent in order to consent, but that doesn't mean you can always consent. Adults can still be manipulated, coerced or forced into sex, and this risk is larger for larger age gaps.
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
In the UK, legal adult is 18. Age of consent is 16. After the age of 18, it's none our business and our opinions won't mean much since it's none of our business unless it somehow affects us too. So stop worrying about it, it should be of no concern to you.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
I prefer it over TSR tbh. You can be more honest and upfront over there at least without getting censored to oblivion.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
I prefer it over TSR tbh. You can be more honest and upfront over there at least without getting censored to oblivion.
I mean kind of, I do appreciate how there are forums on there for just about every niche interest. But I have made posts on there that I made sure were in line with the subreddit's rules and they still got deleted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.94%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
58.73%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
4.76%

Watched Threads