Thanoswashere
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone please explain why group 2 elements have a higher melting point than group 1 elements?? Does it have anything to do with increase in nuclear charge or is it something to do with London forces? Very confused 😰
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think about what group 2 elements are and their bonding. Hint: magnesium is a group 2 element.
Thanoswashere
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
Think about what group 2 elements are and their bonding. Hint: magnesium is a group 2 element.
Ohhh hold on - metallic bonding right?? So there will be a stronger attraction to the delocalised electrons in the metallic bonding lattice?
kylalee.x
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Thanoswashere)
Ohhh hold on - metallic bonding right?? So there will be a stronger attraction to the delocalised electrons in the metallic bonding lattice?
Has as Group 2 has 2+ ions and Group 1 has 1+ ions so group 2 has stronger metallic bonds
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Thanoswashere)
Yeah there’s stronger attraction as the ions are 2+ instead of 1+ and there’s more delocalised electrons (2 per atom instead of 1).
Thanoswashere
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
Yeah there’s stronger attraction as the ions are 2+ instead of 1+ and there’s more delocalised electrons (2 per atom instead of 1).
Ok that makes so much more sense and now I understand better - thank you for your help! 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.74%
Excited but a bit nervous (145)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.84%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.25%

Watched Threads