kzadboy7
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It’s hard enough getting into uni itself for me as I will most likely just scrape an entrance into a lower Russell group university or a high non Russell group Uni, then I’d have to ensure I do as well as humanely possible to ge the highest degree I can, but even then there is no guarantee I’d even get a job at the end of it and could end up wasting my time and money.

I don’t really know what I’m asking for as a response but I would like to hear what people think, as I could apply to do Psychology instead at other universities
winson_0106
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First, uni is important but not a factor that is sooooooooo decisive. Uni is just a route for you to have your undergrad study and expand your network. Resource from the uni might be varied (I'm gonna go to Liverpool) but you have to take your initiative to show the others your longings, although I'm currently in my home country, I always browse website to look for opportunity, this can demonstrate my commitment and perseverance.

I won't say uni is not important at all, yet it won't decide your future... I believe lower Russell Group unis might be Liverpool, Newcastle, Cardiff and Queens? but Liverpool increases its requirement I think they want to get rid of the stigma LMAO.

Also, develop your skills to be more well-rounded, active in sports, academic competition or anything else. Just BE ACTIVE, not only can you build your skills, you may earn more and more experience while taking part in activities.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kzadboy7)
It’s hard enough getting into uni itself for me as I will most likely just scrape an entrance into a lower Russell group university or a high non Russell group Uni, then I’d have to ensure I do as well as humanely possible to ge the highest degree I can, but even then there is no guarantee I’d even get a job at the end of it and could end up wasting my time and money.

I don’t really know what I’m asking for as a response but I would like to hear what people think, as I could apply to do Psychology instead at other universities
Hey

If you are wanting to go into Law or any career for that matter, it really won't matter what University you get your degree from
Universities are actually very lenient on entry requirements etc, so I really would try not to worry as if you want a space, you will get one!
If you want to go into Law, I wouldn't let any of those factors put you off. The whole process is easier than you think, and if you want to do it, you can make it happen

I do Psychology at the University of Portsmouth and I really enjoy it! It is incredibly interesting, and has so many different career opportunities!

If you are still unsure, you can always speak to your teachers about it, I'm sure they'd be happy to help. Another thing to point out, just because you do a degree in a certain field (e.g., Law) doesn't mean you're stuck there! You can do so many different conversion courses once you have a degree, but also having that degree is valuable to so many different careers even though it's not directly related to that subject.

I would go with your heart, and pick the subject you enjoy the most and really want to study. Ultimately, only you can make this decision though! If you are super unsure, you could always take a gap year. They can be so valuable and can teach you a lot! There is no rush to go to University straight after A-Levels

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP
lorry237
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please don't listen to the post above saying that it doesn't matter which uni you go to for law - law is one of the fields where university prestige still matters. If you get your law degree from a lower ranked uni, the "odds" are unfortunately not in your favour in terms of getting a training contract or pupillage. But, with that being said, it is not impossible to succeed. Some of the firms are also now implementing a blind recruitment process where they don't know the applicant's university name. So if you have a burning passion for law, don't let it stop you. Work hard, get the best grades, get involved in societies, gain work experience. But one thing that's definitely important is the passion part - if you don't have a real passion for law and/or you're not sure if you want to pursue a legal career, it might be a better option to do a different course - you can always do GDL/SQE and still become a lawyer
hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey

If you are wanting to go into Law or any career for that matter, it really won't matter what University you get your degree from
Universities are actually very lenient on entry requirements etc, so I really would try not to worry as if you want a space, you will get one!
If you want to go into Law, I wouldn't let any of those factors put you off. The whole process is easier than you think, and if you want to do it, you can make it happen

I do Psychology at the University of Portsmouth and I really enjoy it! It is incredibly interesting, and has so many different career opportunities!

If you are still unsure, you can always speak to your teachers about it, I'm sure they'd be happy to help. Another thing to point out, just because you do a degree in a certain field (e.g., Law) doesn't mean you're stuck there! You can do so many different conversion courses once you have a degree, but also having that degree is valuable to so many different careers even though it's not directly related to that subject.

I would go with your heart, and pick the subject you enjoy the most and really want to study. Ultimately, only you can make this decision though! If you are super unsure, you could always take a gap year. They can be so valuable and can teach you a lot! There is no rush to go to University straight after A-Levels

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP
This perpetuation of a myth that university reputation is insignificant, particularly for careers in law, is quite unhelpful. I imagine you had good intentions, but in reality, university 'prestige' does matter. I'm not claiming that attending an RG university automatically gives candidates a TC or pupillage, but going to Manchester would look 'better' than Manchester Met (this is just an example, I'm not even sure if Met offers law!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed