Getting autism assessment by call. What questions do they ask?

Watch
's too dent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I called my GP to get myself and autism assessment and its going to be over call. I think I'll do it alone, I'm 16. Has anybody had one before and know what the questions are like? I want to make sure i dont defensively be like "no, im fine. i have no problems" when 2 seconds of premeditation reveals i have many examples of what they ask about.

I think its likely I have aspergers and its only not been noticed because I've not done terribly at GCSE.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 's too dent)
I called my GP to get myself and autism assessment and its going to be over call. I think I'll do it alone, I'm 16. Has anybody had one before and know what the questions are like? I want to make sure i dont defensively be like "no, im fine. i have no problems" when 2 seconds of premeditation reveals i have many examples of what they ask about.

I think its likely I have aspergers and its only not been noticed because I've not done terribly at GCSE.
The initial phone call won't be the whole assessment, as you will need to be sent questionnaires to complete, before your case is discussed further.

Do you know what kind of person is going to be calling you?
's too dent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
The initial phone call won't be the whole assessment, as you will need to be sent questionnaires to complete, before your case is discussed further.

Do you know what kind of person is going to be calling you?
No. All I know is that they're a GP.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 's too dent)
No. All I know is that they're a GP.
It sounds to me as though this is a normal GP appointment lasting around 10 minutes.

GPs don't carry out the assessments for autism themselves, they refer them on to the local diagnosis service.

If you type in where you live and autism diagnosis into Google, you should be able to see where the local team is.
's too dent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
It sounds to me as though this is a normal GP appointment lasting around 10 minutes.

GPs don't carry out the assessments for autism themselves, they refer them on to the local diagnosis service.

If you type in where you live and autism diagnosis into Google, you should be able to see where the local team is.
You're right. It seems the GP will decide whether to refer me to a proper test after the phonecall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
22.03%
Excited but a bit nervous (133)
45.08%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.2%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.68%

Watched Threads