3 A Levels in one year? Is it possible?

Watch
dannyshiers
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I'm a 19 year old who had to take a few years out of education due to health.
I achieved all 8s and 9s at GCSE, and am looking to start an LLB in Law in London in September 2022.
After contacting my prospective unis, they all said to go for A Levels rather than an Access to HE Diploma.
I am looking at studying 3 A Levels from now (17/06/21) to sit the May / June 2022 exams. In your experience, have you heard anyone do this?
I am looking for A*, A, A grades.
I'm thinking that I will study Law, and I'm unsure of the other two, but most likely an English and maybe a social science.
I've been out of education for a while, but I was always extremely academically gifted. I am planning on studying with Open Study College (online/distanced) and I will receive all of the materials I need, whilst having a personal tutor and marked assignments too.
Do you have any experience with someone doing this?
OSC seem to be confident that I could achieve what I want inside a year, but what do you think?
Any and all advice is appreciated.
themagics1992
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dannyshiers)
Hi,
I achieved all 8s and 9s at GCSE, and am looking to start an LLB in Law in London in September 2022.
After contacting my prospective unis, they all said to go for A Levels rather than an Access to HE Diploma.
I am looking at studying 3 A Levels from now (17/06/21) to sit the May / June 2022 exams. In your experience, have you heard anyone do this?
I'm thinking that I will study Law, and I'm unsure of the other two, but most likely an English and maybe a social science.
I've been out of education for a while, but I was always extremely academically gifted. I am planning on studying with Open Study College (online/distanced) and I will receive all of the materials I need, whilst having a personal tutor and marked assignments too.
OSC seem to be confident that I could achieve what I want inside a year, but what do you think?
I'd rather just sit the 2 full years in an A level course at a local college than try to do an intensive a level in 1 year as you're young and not many places do the ''intensive 1 year A level courses '' other than private tuition.

Look on UCAS for all law entry requirements, do they specify a certain A level subject/grade?
Again look in your local area find a place for A levels start this September do it for 2 years and apply for LLB 2023 entry.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You would have the advantage of being highly motivated.
Is this going to be essentially guide self study - if so then it should be doable. If you think about school/college they operate from 9-3:30 ish with half terms and end of terms off. You can work through the holidays and do longer days - no requirements to do assembly, pshe, sport, etc.
I can't comment on whether 2 years at college would be better for you.
Ferrari08
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Take Maths as one of your A Levels. Easy A minimum. I got an A* in 6 weeks. Can tutor you if you would like.
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dannyshiers)
Hi,
Start studying, and see how long it takes you, if you can cover a lot of the content in little time, then you're ok. However, this is easier for sciences and maths, which is what I study. That's just rote learning. English is a skill, and as someone who took Literature for AS, it's an entirely different ball game. Crazy fun though.
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ferrari08)
Take Maths as one of your A Levels. Easy A minimum. I got an A* in 6 weeks. Can tutor you if you would like.
You surely weren't a beginner to the subject though
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you’d probably need to pay a private tutor to give you exam techniques, the distance learning places aren’t great for feedback or giving you exam practice.
Politics may be better than law (which just covers in less detail what you then learn in degree year 1) but something without practicals, 100% exam is easiest.
Ferrari08
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tej3141)
You surely weren't a beginner to the subject though
I mean i had a 6 month break where i did absolutely nothing before those 6 weeks I revised and even before then I was a grade C student. So yeah Maths a level is v easy.
tej3141
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean i had a 6 month break where i did absolutely nothing before those 6 weeks I revised and even before then I was a grade C student. So yeah Maths a level is v easy.
If it was easy you wouldve got A* first time around....
Nah jk good on you ig
Ferrari08
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it was easy you wouldve got A* first time around....
Nah jk good on you ig
Haha thanks.
tej3141
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sitting a proper exam for the first time to get a good grade> sucking a teacher off to get a good grade. Haha thanks.
Huh? I dont get what you mean
Ferrari08
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Huh? I dont get what you mean
I sat the 2020 october exams after 2020 summer exams got cancelled where instead teachers decided everyones a level grades hence bias ofc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (11)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (20)
11.05%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (20)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (27)
14.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (11)
6.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.87%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (15)
8.29%
Financial worries (10)
5.52%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (5)
2.76%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.73%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (5)
2.76%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (22)
12.15%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.73%

Watched Threads