Chemistry - required practical question

Watch
LaSuGi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
I just did a required practical on measuring the rate of reaction by a continuous monitoring method. We measured the volume of Hydrogen gas produced with a gas syringe, when magnesium strip reacted with HCl.
Name:  7681E770-4387-4BF5-872D-43ABA1562C86.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  97.5 KB
I don’t know what variable I was unable to control. Temperature maybe? But could I control that? And how can I have modified experiment to see if it had an effect?
Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LaSuGi; 1 month ago
t0897
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can control temperature with a water bath
You could modify the experiment by having a negative control i.e. one experiment with the temperature controlled vs another without
I don't know if it's the right answer but just a guess ^
nickclement9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Assuming it's a very simple syringe experiment, you were likely unable to control the temperature.

Temperature would have been taken as "room temperature" which is going to be different depending on said room.

You could repeat the experiment by heating the syringe or whatever reaction chamber you used in order to detect the effect of heating the system.

I hope this is clear
LaSuGi
Rep:
?
(Original post by t0897)
you can control temperature with a water bath
You could modify the experiment by having a negative control i.e. one experiment with the temperature controlled vs another without
I don't know if it's the right answer but just a guess ^
Thank you!
LaSuGi
Rep:
?
(Original post by nickclement9)
Assuming it's a very simple syringe experiment, you were likely unable to control the temperature.

Temperature would have been taken as "room temperature" which is going to be different depending on said room.

You could repeat the experiment by heating the syringe or whatever reaction chamber you used in order to detect the effect of heating the system.

I hope this is clear
Thank you for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (70)
22.95%
Excited but a bit nervous (135)
44.26%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.13%
I'm really nervous (63)
20.66%

Watched Threads