University with predictions lower than requirements

Watch
dear-j
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you have bad predicted grades( e.g. CCD), but get 3 A* in your final grades would it be still possible to get into a really good university(e.g. a Russel group university)?
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes. You can put unis on your application that are above what your target grades are (infact the guidance is to go 1 really aspirational, 1 that’s a bit higher, 2 around where you’re currently working and one lower incase it goes badly)
Regardless of your predictions, any offers you get will be conditional upon you receiving certain grades, meaning if you’re predicted DDD and meet your offer of AAA, you still get in
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
Yes. You can put unis on your application that are above what your target grades are (infact the guidance is to go 1 really aspirational, 1 that’s a bit higher, 2 around where you’re currently working and one lower incase it goes badly)
Regardless of your predictions, any offers you get will be conditional upon you receiving certain grades, meaning if you’re predicted DDD and meet your offer of AAA, you still get in
Really? I didnt even this they would consider you if you had DDD predicted grades
Irresponsible
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
Wait but wouldn't they reject u and not even give u a conditional offer
tej3141
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Irresponsible)
Wait but wouldn't they reject u and not even give u a conditional offer
That's what I was thinking. You're not really gonna get a conditional from oxford or Cambridge with those
ry7xsfa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dear-j)
If you have bad predicted grades( e.g. CCD), but get 3 A* in your final grades would it be still possible to get into a really good university(e.g. a Russel group university)?
Firstly, I just wanted to give you a heads up that I've changed the title of your thread to something that better explains what it's about.

Realistically, you probably shouldn't be expecting to receive offers with these predicted grades. However, these low predicted grades wouldn't stop you from trying to get a place at these universities through either Clearing (if you hold no offers/decline your place) or Adjustment (if you meet and exceed your firm offer). Note that both of these would be after results day and would be dependant on you having your actual grades at a standard that is in line with a typical offer at that university. Just keep in mind that not all courses at all universities will be in Clearing or Adjustment, so this may end up restricting you depending on what you want to do and where you want to go (also, accommodation may not be guaranteed if you get your place this late).

Another option you may have is to take a gap year and apply with your actual grades. Some people say that universities may look less favourably upon applicants who have taken a gap year, but most don't seem to mind. Generally, if you try to use your gap year well (i.e. working on something related to your subject, volunteering, etc.), you can put it on your personal statement and it can make your application stronger.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some unis dont use predictions at all in their decision making process. Obviously those that do are unlikely to make you an offer.

RG unis do take part in Clearing, so yes, performing well you could still end up in one, (but don't fixate on the RG because it's fairly meaningless so far as UG courses are concerned).
tej3141
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you actually do this or is it hypothetical
Irresponsible
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Some unis dont use predictions at all in their decision making process. Obviously those that do are unlikely to make you an offer.

RG unis do take part in Clearing, so yes, performing well you could still end up in one, (but don't fixate on the RG because it's fairly meaningless so far as UG courses are concerned).
What does RG and UG mean?
ry7xsfa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Irresponsible)
What does RG and UG mean?
Russel Group and Undergraduate
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tej3141)
Really? I didnt even this they would consider you if you had DDD predicted grades
They won't.
Universities are not silly and know that an applicant getting from D grades to A grades isn't going to happen so they wont waste their time making you an offer you stand no chance of achieving.

Read this - all of it - How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
tej3141
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
They won't.
Universities are not silly and know that an applicant getting from D grades to A grades isn't going to happen so they wont waste their time making you an offer you stand no chance of achieving.

Read this - all of it - How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
Yh thanks for confirming. I was thinking that would be very illogical
dear-j
Rep:
?
(Original post by tej3141)
Did you actually do this or is it hypothetical
I’ve actually done this.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve actually done this.
If you now have achieved grades then predictions are irrelevant. Are you talking about Teacher or Centre Awarded Grades?
dear-j
Rep:
?
If you now have achieved grades then predictions are irrelevant. Are you talking about Teacher or Centre Awarded Grades?
sorry but what’s the difference between the two?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sorry but what’s the difference between the two?
Predicted grades are educated guesstimates from your school as what you are likely to achieve.

TAG/CAG are final awarded grades which given to candidates who could not sit their exams due to COVID. They’re not predictions.
dear-j
Rep:
?
Predicted grades are educated guesstimates from your school as what you are likely to achieve.

TAG/CAG are final awarded grades which given to candidates who could not sit their exams due to COVID. They’re not predictions.
well I sat my end of year exams for AS so mine are predictions and not TAG/CAG.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well I sat my end of year exams for AS so mine are predictions and not TAG/CAG.
Okay, when someone asked you “have you done this?”, it would have been clearer to say “no, but I hope to”. My advice in post #7 still stands.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed