What unis don't take gap year students

Watch
Irresponsible
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm thinking of doing a gap year for A-Level but I heard some Unis don't take in people that do gap year. I'm thinking of doing medicine
Emily5243
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Irresponsible)
I'm thinking of doing a gap year for A-Level but I heard some Unis don't take in people that do gap year. I'm thinking of doing medicine
Every medical school will be okay with you taking a gap year. Although if you resit your A levels during your gap year, not every med school will accept you without extenuating circumstances
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you should post under the medical forum. I don’t think any universities other than some oxbridge colleges for maths have negative attitudes towards gap years.

Possibly for medicine things work a bit differently.
mardlingja
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know some Oxford/Cambridge colleges don't like gap years, but you'd have to check as it varies college to college
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mardlingja)
I know some Oxford/Cambridge colleges don't like gap years, but you'd have to check as it varies college to college
I've never heard that.

I've heard that they have a higher standard if you're applying for deferred entry, but not that they don't like you applying during a gap year.
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey where are you thinking of applying to? Also do you know your grades? If not do you know what you think you got for your A Levels?
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emily5243)
Every medical school will be okay with you taking a gap year. Although if you resit your A levels during your gap year, not every med school will accept you without extenuating circumstances
Depends if you’re applying from a gap year or with a gap year planned. Kent Medway wouldn’t let me apply for deferred entry this year and made me change my application. Then rejected me anyway! Warwick also said they wouldn’t accept applications for deferred entry. One of those things that some universities are okay with and some aren’t.

But the majority of universities are okay with it. They usually expect you to have a specific and realistic plan in mind for your gap year that is going to enrich your profile or performance as a future medic. And yes, getting a job to save money is a perfectly acceptable reason. You just have to say it. Just saying you want to defer your entry without explaining why may result in a rejection for that reason alone if the university asks candidates to explain this in their personal statement and you don’t!
Irresponsible
Rep:
?
(Original post by Turning_A_Corner)
Depends if you’re applying from a gap year or with a gap year planned. Kent Medway wouldn’t let me apply for deferred entry this year and made me change my application. Then rejected me anyway! Warwick also said they wouldn’t accept applications for deferred entry. One of those things that some universities are okay with and some aren’t.

But the majority of universities are okay with it. They usually expect you to have a specific and realistic plan in mind for your gap year that is going to enrich your profile or performance as a future medic. And yes, getting a job to save money is a perfectly acceptable reason. You just have to say it. Just saying you want to defer your entry without explaining why may result in a rejection for that reason alone if the university asks candidates to explain this in their personal statement and you don’t!
I just got my mock grade and it wasn't good so I doubt any RG or UG in general would allow me deferred entry so I plan on getting the grades in the real thing then applying the next year instead of going into clearing.
Irresponsible
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
Hey where are you thinking of applying to? Also do you know your grades? If not do you know what you think you got for your A Levels?
I just got my PPE or mock grade and my predicted grades are A*CC/A*BC (my bio teacher hasn't given us all our papers back but judging from the first paper I got which I found easier it's likely that I didn't get the B) so I plan on getting the grades in the real A-Level and then going onto a gap year(not deferred entry since it's highly unlikely that I'll get any offers with these grades). I want to go to Imperial or Leeds. So idk if I should even apply to UNIs now or even do the UCAT or BMAT cuz my grades aren't enough anyway.
amber0321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! As far as I know, most universities are completely fine with people taking a gap year as long as they gain something from it (eg. volunteer during it or get work experience)
If it’s medicine you apply for, certain universities won’t accept A level resits so it would be best to avoid those universities if that’s your plan
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just got my PPE or mock grade and my predicted grades are A*CC/A*BC (my bio teacher hasn't given us all our papers back but judging from the first paper I got which I found easier it's likely that I didn't get the B) so I plan on getting the grades in the real A-Level and then going onto a gap year(not deferred entry since it's highly unlikely that I'll get any offers with these grades). I want to go to Imperial or Leeds. So idk if I should even apply to UNIs now or even do the UCAT or BMAT cuz my grades aren't enough anyway.
If you can convince them to increase it then you should, if not then just plan to do a gap year like you said and just smash your exams and get at least AAA, then apply!

Let me know if you got any questions regarding medicine or applying for medicine. Good luck!
Last edited by SyedN; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise