Plan to transfer to good Law uni possible?

Watch
amber2106
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a foundation year student studying law
I was not happy with my initial alevel grades as i knew it wasn't a reflection of my actual worth ethic and skill.
I know although it is quite tricky, you can transfer unis. I decided to get tutors and they have both predicted me A's for the 2 alevels I have decided to retake (this was in 2020) Covid did get in the way but I have continually been studying my alevels alongside my foundation year.
Im thinking of applying for 2nd year entry at a different uni but completing my first year at my current uni. Overall the grades I'm hoping to get if things go to plan is A* A C (I got a C from my previous alevel) . Will A* A C and hopefully a good grade in my first year of uni be enough to go to a decent uni?
Any advice how to navigate and talk to unis about transferring and grades
Any help appreciated 😊
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Transferring law is tricky as different universities cover qualifying law degree topics in different orders - so finding a compatible course isn’t always possible.
random1997
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Transferring law is tricky as different universities cover qualifying law degree topics in different orders - so finding a compatible course isn’t always possible.
This is the most crucial point. Put it this way: I've just finished a law degree at a Russell Group, know a lot of people who have done/are doing a law degree at other RG unis, and I've never heard a transfer happen. Ever.

The policy of my uni is that they absolutely do not take ANY second year transfers, and the only first year transfers they will accept are within the first 3 weeks, and only students from the medical faculty at my same uni. I'm not sure why just the medical faculty, but that's the rule! They're extremely picky.
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amber2106)
I am a foundation year student studying law
I was not happy with my initial alevel grades as i knew it wasn't a reflection of my actual worth ethic and skill.
I know although it is quite tricky, you can transfer unis. I decided to get tutors and they have both predicted me A's for the 2 alevels I have decided to retake (this was in 2020) Covid did get in the way but I have continually been studying my alevels alongside my foundation year.
Im thinking of applying for 2nd year entry at a different uni but completing my first year at my current uni. Overall the grades I'm hoping to get if things go to plan is A* A C (I got a C from my previous alevel) . Will A* A C and hopefully a good grade in my first year of uni be enough to go to a decent uni?
Any advice how to navigate and talk to unis about transferring and grades
Any help appreciated 😊
You can "transfer" into the first year of another law programme. That's not really a transfer since you'd be re-applying through UCAS with all the faff that involves (including hearing back late in the cycle, writing a new PS, and having to find someone to provide a reference). Some universities are weird about this (e.g. Cambridge) but most should be okay.

I don't know of any RG universities that accept transfers into second year. Most of them either rule it out or reserve them for 'exceptional' situations. I would be interested to see if anyone has done an FOI request on this actually... might check whatdotheyknow.com.

A*AC does not meet the entry requirements for many 'good' RGs, even if it's deemed to be equivalent to an AAB, but this depends on the uni and what their policy on alternative offers are. The decent RGs normally ask for AAA or A*AA unless the candidate is eligible for a contextual offer.

I don't think you need any advice to navigate this, because there's very little negotiation to be done. They will probably tell you "no" if you ask them about transferring into second year, and point you to their website if you ask them about re-applying into first year. But drawing up a shortlist of RGs you want to apply to and contacting them directly should be the next step for you.

For what it's worth, you should also check whether any decent RG unis allow you to transfer into their first year of law from the foundation programme. This is not common (foundation years are meant to prepare you for studying at that particular university, and you'd be competing against people with traditional qualifications) but it's worth asking about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads