Alice Gormer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place, but...

I'm going into my final year of my undergrad and I've been thinking about a Master's. However, I am so confused about the money side of things. From my understanding, we can get a max loan of £11,570. This is barely enough to cover the costs of the tuition, let alone anything else. How am I supposed to live, pay rent, bills, etc? My first thought was a part-time job, but one of my lecturers has done the exact same course I'm thinking about and they advised strongly against doing this, due to the amount of studying and work I'd be doing alongside it (for free).

I'm really clueless on all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Generally people will work for a time and save up, or already have savings that they can use to live on whilst they complete their masters.
econpolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey Alice,

I am in the same situation. Perhaps get a part time job?
TheTakers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I worked for a year and used the savings.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alice Gormer)
Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place, but...

I'm going into my final year of my undergrad and I've been thinking about a Master's. However, I am so confused about the money side of things. From my understanding, we can get a max loan of £11,570. This is barely enough to cover the costs of the tuition, let alone anything else. How am I supposed to live, pay rent, bills, etc? My first thought was a part-time job, but one of my lecturers has done the exact same course I'm thinking about and they advised strongly against doing this, due to the amount of studying and work I'd be doing alongside it (for free).

I'm really clueless on all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Most people, who don't the financial backing of parents/family, will take time out of education to work and save up.
Alice Gormer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Most people, who don't the financial backing of parents/family, will take time out of education to work and save up.
Yeah, I feel like this is the only option at this point. Thanks everyone for your comments
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Part-time work/part-time course or money from parents.

I'm afraid your lecturer is living in a dreamland, she probably did the course when fees wern't in the tens of thousands of pounds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (40)
27.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (82)
56.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
6.94%

Watched Threads