Samm321
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am doing double health and social care and digital photography which overall it is equivalent to three a levels and I really want to do biomedical engineering in university but I searched every university that can take my qualifications but none do not take my qualification, what do I do? can I still apply for this course? help me!
millie9501
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Samm321)
I am doing double health and social care and digital photography which overall it is equivalent to three a levels and I really want to do biomedical engineering in university but I searched every university that can take my qualifications but none do not take my qualification, what do I do? can I still apply for this course? help me!
A lot of universities have emails where you can contact the admissions team. Usually they’ll be able to give you more information and can offer different options. good luck!
ChemGirl95
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Typically you will require A-level (or equivalent) in maths and physics for a biomedical engineering course. You may be better taking another year to try to achieve this as I do not know of any Universities which will accept your qualifications for entry to that course.
Samm321
Rep:
?
(Original post by millie9501)
A lot of universities have emails where you can contact the admissions team. Usually they’ll be able to give you more information and can offer different options. good luck!
thank you!!
Samm321
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemGirl95)
Typically you will require A-level (or equivalent) in maths and physics for a biomedical engineering course. You may be better taking another year to try to achieve this as I do not know of any Universities which will accept your qualifications for entry to that course.
so if i take another year off to try achieve this then will I have to repeat 2 years of sixth form again?
SLS123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you do require an A level in maths or physics etc, you can study it privately online and take the exams at a local exam centre😊 If you think you're capable and manage your time well, you should be able to complete in one year.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Without A-level Maths/Physics you would probably be best off looking at courses with a foundation year. These are pretty common though, and are offered by e.g. QMUL, Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield etc. The foundation year is integrated into the degree so provided you achieve the required pass marks you progress automatically into the first year of the degree programme at the end of it. The courses will probably be titled e.g. "BEng Biomedical Engineering with Foundation Year" or similar.
Samm321
Rep:
?
(Original post by SLS123)
If you do require an A level in maths or physics etc, you can study it privately online and take the exams at a local exam centre😊 If you think you're capable and manage your time well, you should be able to complete in one year.
thank you ! where can i find to study privately online ?
Samm321
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Without A-level Maths/Physics you would probably be best off looking at courses with a foundation year. These are pretty common though, and are offered by e.g. QMUL, Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield etc. The foundation year is integrated into the degree so provided you achieve the required pass marks you progress automatically into the first year of the degree programme at the end of it. The courses will probably be titled e.g. "BEng Biomedical Engineering with Foundation Year" or similar.
thank you, i will look into these unis but do you think they will still accept me even if I do not have a levels maths/physics
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you, i will look into these unis but do you think they will still accept me even if I do not have a levels maths/physics
For a foundation year, yes. Because that is the point of the foundation year - it's designed for those who did not take the requisite science/maths subjects in school. You then study that material during the foundation year itself.
Samm321
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
For a foundation year, yes. Because that is the point of the foundation year - it's designed for those who did not take the requisite science/maths subjects in school. You then study that material during the foundation year itself.
okay makes sense, thank you!
SLS123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you ! where can i find to study privately online ?
There's ICS learn and open study college. You'd effectively get the course content from them and a tutor too I believe, then you'd sit the exam in the exam period
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Engineering is really an applied maths degree taking physics (& maths) and applying it to applications with the aim of development & problem solving, each branch is just a different application.

So you really need physics & maths background to get into it, you'll realistically have to take an equivalent qualification or just do the A-levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
6.32%
Uncertainty around my education (21)
11.05%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (21)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (28)
14.74%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (12)
6.32%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (16)
8.42%
Financial worries (10)
5.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
3.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.37%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
3.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (23)
12.11%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.37%

Watched Threads