got confused, all good now tho! new ppl don't have to reply to this, it's ok!! :)

Watch
zerokaisen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

Hello! Below is some context, you can skip to the very end for my question

I'm in Year 12 - currently studying A Level Math, English Lit. and Economics.

I just finished my mock exams and to be honest, I already know my predicted grades are not going to be good, however I do know that it's not a true reflection of my potential. Guaranteed, I can achieve much better in the real thing.

I would like to go into Law at a Russel Group University preferably (King's, Glasgow, UCL, LSE, Bristol) and have already started reading books on it and free virtual work experiences.
But at this point, I have no clue if I'll get in because of my crap predicted grades.

I've looked into alternative back up choices like International Business Management, but still unsure because I've been deadset on Law for so long.

SO, my question is : if I apply to the universities I named above, and didn't hold any offers, what would be the process then? Also, if get REALLY good A Level results despite having crap predicted grades and holding no offers, what would the procedure be?

Because my last option would be taking a gap year and reapplying the next academic year with my 2022 grades, but apparently the unis I named above don't favour reapplications?? Especially for Law??
I'm not sure - heard that from someone, tried to research it but can't find anything online so yeah :/

Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am quite stuck and stressed on what to do.
Last edited by zerokaisen; 1 month ago
mcvinod22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Heyy, if your Alevel grades are amazing don’t worry you can apply on results day and see if you can get a spot for law in any of these unis.
That being said they only look down on your slightly if you have chosen to resit your alevels after getting bad grades the first time around. And predicted grades are just that, with your cohort being given actual exams next year it may play in your favour but yeah no if your predictions are crap don’t stress, just apply to unis you can do with your predicted like Bristol or notts or Exeter. If you get an offer from one of them firm. And then hope for the best on results day.

But no just because you have reapplied it doesn’t mean that they will look down on you unless ofc you have screwed up your alevels and are resitting..
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zerokaisen)

I just finished my mock exams and to be honest, I already know my predicted grades are not going to be good, however I do know that it's not a true reflection of my potential. Guaranteed, I can achieve much better in the real thing.

I would like to go into Law at a Russel Group University preferably (King's, Glasgow, UCL, LSE, Bristol) and have already started reading books on it and free virtual work experiences.
But at this point, I have no clue if I'll get in because of my crap predicted grades.

I've looked into alternative back up choices like International Business Management, but still unsure because I've been deadset on Law for so long.

SO, my question is : if I apply to the universities I named above, and didn't hold any offers, what would be the process then? Also, if get REALLY good A Level results despite having crap predicted grades and holding no offers, what would the procedure be?

Because my last option would be taking a gap year and reapplying the next academic year with my 2022 grades, but apparently the unis I named above don't favour reapplications?? Especially for Law??
I'm not sure - heard that from someone, tried to research it but can't find anything online so yeah :/

Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am quite stuck and stressed on what to do.
You go through adjustment or clearing. You should have at least one insurance choice so as to avoid having to go into clearing.

I don't think that any of these unis care about candidates who re-apply. If you find any evidence to the contrary let us know I'm curious.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I've never heard that the universities you've listed are against re-applicants. Where did you hear this? Was it for a specific course? Why is a year out such a bad idea?
zerokaisen
Rep:
?
(Original post by mcvinod22)
Heyy, if your Alevel grades are amazing don’t worry you can apply on results day and see if you can get a spot for law in any of these unis.
That being said they only look down on your slightly if you have chosen to resit your alevels after getting bad grades the first time around. And predicted grades are just that, with your cohort being given actual exams next year it may play in your favour but yeah no if your predictions are crap don’t stress, just apply to unis you can do with your predicted like Bristol or notts or Exeter. If you get an offer from one of them firm. And then hope for the best on results day.

But no just because you have reapplied it doesn’t mean that they will look down on you unless ofc you have screwed up your alevels and are resitting..
(Original post by Johnny ~)
You go through adjustment or clearing. You should have at least one insurance choice so as to avoid having to go into clearing.

I don't think that any of these unis care about candidates who re-apply. If you find any evidence to the contrary let us know I'm curious.
hihi, thank you for replying!

i heard from a friend who goes King's for Physiotherapy, that everyone she knows in Law went straight in after year 13, and a few of my friends in sixth form said the same thing ("some of the top universities care if you reapply/it looks bad" is what i've heard) so that's why i asked because i got quite stressed about that (since it's looking quite likely that im gonna have to take a gap year and reapply bc of my predicted grades), but yeah, no evidence on that, so good sign im guessing !!
zerokaisen
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
I've never heard that the universities you've listed are against re-applicants. Where did you hear this? Was it for a specific course? Why is a year out such a bad idea?
i heard it from my sixth form friends, so yeah not the most reliable, but i got kinda stressed in the moment lol
i wrote in my reply above about my friend who goes king's too ;-;
since apparently most law students go straight into uni after yr 13 but idk still kinda scared

a year out isn't a bad idea for me since i wanna have a job to save money to move out (gonna have to make a different post about that another day lol), find some experience for law and do some further reading, etc.
the reason why im kinda scared of a year out is because i don't want to be at a disadvantage (if there is one ofc) for reapplying, and also because of the basic nerves ig? for most students, we've never really had a full year off education so it's kinda scary but cool simultaneously!

but yeah, sorry for rambling
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago

i heard from a friend who goes King's for Physiotherapy, that everyone she knows in Law went straight in after year 13, and a few of my friends in sixth form said the same thing ("some of the top universities care if you reapply/it looks bad" is what i've heard) so that's why i asked because i got quite stressed about that (since it's looking quite likely that im gonna have to take a gap year and reapply bc of my predicted grades), but yeah, no evidence on that, so good sign im guessing !!
Email the universities directly. I don't know why you care about the opinions of random people who don't seem to be studying law or have any familiarity with the admissions process.
zerokaisen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
Email the universities directly. I don't know why you care about the opinions of random people who don't seem to be studying law or have any familiarity with the admissions process.
mhm i'll do that

thanks, i needed that wake up call ;-;
leviticus.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

This is just wrong tbh, on average Oxbridge post-qualification applicants (many of whom are reapplicants) are more successful. Mostly because a lot of the colleges don't actually keep a record of whether or not you applied beforehand or not; I fail to see why any other Russell Group university would care either. Achieved A-levels are viewed much more favourably than prediction by most universities.
kev23s
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
when I was in year 12. my grades weren't that good(ABB). so I decided to take a gap year and apply with my actual grade. in the end, I even got an interview from imperial( for engineering, imperial is just after Cambridge).
when you apply with your real grades. your prediction won't matter at all( obviously). the process is the same as you have done in yr 12.
just focus on your final grades.
I don't think those unis would mind since that is your first time sitting the exams.
zerokaisen
Rep:
?
(Original post by leviticus.)
This is just wrong tbh, on average Oxbridge post-qualification applicants (many of whom are reapplicants) are more successful. Mostly because a lot of the colleges don't actually keep a record of whether or not you applied beforehand or not; I fail to see why any other Russell Group university would care either. Achieved A-levels are viewed much more favourably than prediction by most universities.
oh i never knew that about the oxbridge applicants woah

also yeah my friends from sixth form have clarified that they meant RESITS not reapplicants... -.- they got them confused and i panicked smh sorry guys

thank you for replying !
zerokaisen
Rep:
?
(Original post by kev23s)
when I was in year 12. my grades weren't that good(ABB). so I decided to take a gap year and apply with my actual grade. in the end, I even got an interview from imperial( for engineering, imperial is just after Cambridge).
when you apply with your real grades. your prediction won't matter at all( obviously). the process is the same as you have done in yr 12.
just focus on your final grades.
I don't think those unis would mind since that is your first time sitting the exams.
omg ABB is good tho, wow

thank you for replying !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
32.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
5.88%
No I am happy with my choice (19)
55.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed