The Student Room Group

En-suite or standard?

For Uni Accommodation,
What would you choose and why?

Scroll to see replies

En-suite all the way. Shared bathrooms are disgusting. People are disgusting.
Definitely ensuite if you can afford it, will save you a load of headache
Also a lot more convenient. Was talking to a family member about it and they said that their friend would share a bathroom with someone that would spend 3 hours in the shower. Obviously its unlikely that this would happen to you but to be able to go whenever you want is a plus.
Reply 4
Original post by JustSomeGuy:/
Also a lot more convenient. Was talking to a family member about it and they said that their friend would share a bathroom with someone that would spend 3 hours in the shower. Obviously its unlikely that this would happen to you but to be able to go whenever you want is a plus.

Oh it definitely is! I really want an en-suite, it's just that it's a lot more expensive, and with the maintenance loan I get I would have a little over £1000 for food left for 40 weeks. Tbf the standard room one has a bathroom ratio of 1 bathroom to 2 people so that isn't bad.
Original post by Vicky55
Oh it definitely is! I really want an en-suite, it's just that it's a lot more expensive, and with the maintenance loan I get I would have a little over £1000 for food left for 40 weeks. Tbf the standard room one has a bathroom ratio of 1 bathroom to 2 people so that isn't bad.

So that's £5 a day for food off of your maintenance loan which you can obviously live off of but that isn't preferred if you wanna go out often lol so what about money you get from bursaries (most unis offer one if you're eligible), your parents, a job if you want/have one etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
So that's £5 a day for food off of your maintenance loan which you can obviously live off of but that isn't preferred if you wanna go out often lol so what about money you get from bursaries (most unis offer one if you're eligible), your parents, a job if you want/have one etc.

my parents can help but that isn't ideal, I'll feel bad :/ I'm not eligible for bursaries unfortunately. I want to get a job once at uni it's just a small city so it's pretty difficult to find jobs :/
So might have to consider a non ensuite one
Original post by Vicky55
my parents can help but that isn't ideal, I'll feel bad :/ I'm not eligible for bursaries unfortunately. I want to get a job once at uni it's just a small city so it's pretty difficult to find jobs :/
So might have to consider a non ensuite one

Don't feel bad, see it as more of a parting gift before you can find yourself a job to keep you going.:tongue:
Reply 8
Don't feel bad, see it as more of a parting gift before you can find yourself a job to keep you going.:tongue:

yeah maybe, you're really against non ensuite huh? :biggrin:
Original post by Vicky55
yeah maybe, you're really against non ensuite huh? :biggrin:

Trust me it's for your own good you'll thank me later! :tongue:
Reply 10
Trust me it's for your own good you'll thank me later! :tongue:

I think I'd rather eat than have an ensuite XD 2 students to 1 bathroom is not bad at all, in a flat of 10 you have 5 bathrooms. Did you have some really bad experiences?
Original post by Vicky55
I think I'd rather eat than have an ensuite XD 2 students to 1 bathroom is not bad at all, in a flat of 10 you have 5 bathrooms. Did you have some really bad experiences?

I've heard of many bad experiences from friends and family so idk maybe I'm just biased lol. Tbh with you 2 students to one bathroom ain't too bad so maybe you're better off. How much cheaper are the non en-suite ones?
Reply 12
I've heard of many bad experiences from friends and family so idk maybe I'm just biased lol. Tbh with you 2 students to one bathroom ain't too bad so maybe you're better off. How much cheaper are the non en-suite ones?

Awh that sucks :/ What kind of bad experiences?
It's about £515 cheaper, not by much (so en-suite is £13 more per week) but that's still an extra £515 for food and other extras. Plus the non en-suite one is much more modern, very nice kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and living area for each flat, plus study rooms and like a main hall on the ground floor which most other accommodations don't have. It's a very nice building overall compared to ensuite ones, it's just the ensuite thing holding me back and that it's a couple mins further than other accommodation.
Original post by Vicky55
Awh that sucks :/ What kind of bad experiences?
It's about £515 cheaper, not by much (so en-suite is £13 more per week) but that's still an extra £515 for food and other extras. Plus the non en-suite one is much more modern, very nice kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and living area for each flat, plus study rooms and like a main hall on the ground floor which most other accommodations don't have. It's a very nice building overall compared to ensuite ones, it's just the ensuite thing holding me back and that it's a couple mins further than other accommodation.

I mean if the non en suite does actually have the better facilities PLUS you get to actually have money for food then yeah fair enough go for it lol. It's just I've heard of gross flatmates that aren't very hygienic or people that hog the bathroom and then people getting late to lectures. But if you only have 1 other person you should be fine plus chances are they're normal and hygenic (hopefully lol). Might not help that I'm a little bit of a germ freak lmao.
(edited 2 years ago)
I shared a bathroom all 3 years in halls. It was fine. There were 3 toilet between 8 of us and 2 showers and 1 bath. The cleaner came every week day, I didn't have any problems with hygiene from my flatmates and didn't have to worry about toilet paper or timing my showers as, like I said, there were plenty. I prefer the money.
Last year I would've said ensuite all the way but I realised how expensive it is for a university student so I would pay for the cheapest accom which is shared. I've been sharing a bathroom all my life I'm sure 3 more years wouldn't hurt but when I have a full time job, definitely my own apartment
Reply 16
I mean if the non en suite does actually have the better facilities PLUS you get to actually have money for food then yeah fair enough go for it lol. It's just I've heard of gross flatmates that aren't very hygienic or people that hog the bathroom and then people getting late to lectures. But if you only have 1 other person you should be fine plus chances are they're normal and hygenic (hopefully lol). Might not help that I'm a little bit of a germ freak lmao.

haha thanks for your input! :smile: I get it though, I have 2 little brothers and their bathroom is always covered in p*ss, it's very disgusting XD Plus you know, if something happens to one of the bathrooms or it's occupied there's still another 4 in the flat :smile: hopefully I won't be placed w people who are like my 8 year old little brothers! xD
Reply 17
Original post by Sabertooth
I shared a bathroom all 3 years in halls. It was fine. There were 3 toilet between 8 of us and 2 showers and 1 bath. The cleaner came every week day, I didn't have any problems with hygiene from my flatmates and didn't have to worry about toilet paper or timing my showers as, like I said, there were plenty. I prefer the money.

Original post by Moonlight rain
Last year I would've said ensuite all the way but I realised how expensive it is for a university student so I would pay for the cheapest accom which is shared. I've been sharing a bathroom all my life I'm sure 3 more years wouldn't hurt but when I have a full time job, definitely my own apartment

Yeah exactly! :biggrin: I'm sure the sharing gets easier anyways after you know each other better
Reply 18
Original post by Vicky55
For Uni Accommodation,
What would you choose and why?

I had a shared bathroom in uni accommodation back in my first year and honestly, it's really not a big deal. We had a cleaner doing a deep clean every week and a wipe down of everything every weekday to ensure the bathroom isn't looking grim. Also, I hardly ever had to queue for the toilet or the shower as we're on completely different schedules.

I've actually applied for uni accommodation for my third year and I picked a mixture of shared bathroom and ensuite - obviously the latter is nicer, but the former isn't a big deal and with the pandemic, cleaning has been ramped up anyways.
Ensuite or living alone- no matter how much it costs. :cool:
I'm never going back to the student houseshare days of a shared bathroom, kitchen and communal fridge. :mad2::mad2::mad2:
Used to live in an undergrad houseshare with six housemates, two dogs and one bathroom. :eek3:

Quick Reply

Latest