Reapplying, Gap Years and Predicted Grades

Watch
zerokaisen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello! Below is some context, you can skip to the very end for my question

I'm in Year 12 - currently studying A Level Math, English Lit. and Economics.

I just finished my mock exams and to be honest, I already know my predicted grades are not going to be good, however I do know that it's not a true reflection of my potential. Guaranteed, I can achieve much better in the real thing.

I would like to go into Law at a Russel Group University preferably (King's, Glasgow, UCL, LSE, Bristol) and have already started reading books on it and free virtual work experiences.
But at this point, I have no clue if I'll get in because of my crap predicted grades.

I've looked into alternative back up choices like International Business Management, but still unsure because I've been deadset on Law for so long.

SO, my question is : if I apply to the universities I named above, and didn't hold any offers, what would be the process then? Also, if get REALLY good A Level results despite having crap predicted grades and holding no offers, what would the procedure be?

Because my last option would be taking a gap year and reapplying the next academic year with my 2022 grades, but apparently the unis I named above don't favour reapplications?? Especially for Law??
I'm not sure - heard that from someone, tried to research it but can't find anything online so yeah :/

Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am quite stuck and stressed on what to do.

(I posted the same thing in the Law Forum as well by accident )
Chisjsgeusiaibdv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zerokaisen)
Hello! Below is some context, you can skip to the very end for my question

I'm in Year 12 - currently studying A Level Math, English Lit. and Economics.

I just finished my mock exams and to be honest, I already know my predicted grades are not going to be good, however I do know that it's not a true reflection of my potential. Guaranteed, I can achieve much better in the real thing.

I would like to go into Law at a Russel Group University preferably (King's, Glasgow, UCL, LSE, Bristol) and have already started reading books on it and free virtual work experiences.
But at this point, I have no clue if I'll get in because of my crap predicted grades.

I've looked into alternative back up choices like International Business Management, but still unsure because I've been deadset on Law for so long.

SO, my question is : if I apply to the universities I named above, and didn't hold any offers, what would be the process then? Also, if get REALLY good A Level results despite having crap predicted grades and holding no offers, what would the procedure be?

Because my last option would be taking a gap year and reapplying the next academic year with my 2022 grades, but apparently the unis I named above don't favour reapplications?? Especially for Law??
I'm not sure - heard that from someone, tried to research it but can't find anything online so yeah :/

Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am quite stuck and stressed on what to do.

(I posted the same thing in the Law Forum as well by accident )
You’re still in year 12 so you still have your next mocks to boost your grades and use those for your application.

If you apply for them with poor grades, they’ll straight up reject you and you’ll have to wait until you get your actual grades to apply to others through clearing and whatnot (please do correct me if I’m wrong). When you do get good grades but didn’t receive offers the first time, you can go through “adjustment” where applicants who have grades higher than the required grades apply.

Try to have balanced options. Have you also looked into SOAS (not a RG but a reputable uni) / queen Mary etc? (Just a suggestion btw)
zerokaisen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Chisjsgeusiaibdv)
You’re still in year 12 so you still have your next mocks to boost your grades and use those for your application.

If you apply for them with poor grades, they’ll straight up reject you and you’ll have to wait until you get your actual grades to apply to others through clearing and whatnot (please do correct me if I’m wrong). When you do get good grades but didn’t receive offers the first time, you can go through “adjustment” where applicants who have grades higher than the required grades apply.

Try to have balanced options. Have you also looked into SOAS (not a RG but a reputable uni) / queen Mary etc? (Just a suggestion btw)
I have but I'm quite adamant on RG; I've looked into other RG with lower requirements though !

Idk if my sixth form is just tryna scare us but they said our June mocks (the one we just did) have more weight than the September ones - Ik i can get top grades by then, but my teachers changing my predicted grades is a different story uno?

Thank you for letting me know about the process and Adjustment !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (70)
22.95%
Excited but a bit nervous (135)
44.26%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.13%
I'm really nervous (63)
20.66%

Watched Threads