username4882106
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Today was my second interview. In all honesty my heart wasn’t in it as it’s an hour commute and I did want to withdraw after the school tour but I figured no, just do it, if you get it stuck it out for the year then move on as jobs are hard to find right now especially for teaching.

I went into interview they were really pleased with my lesson but the only thing they said in terms of why I didn’t get it was “I didn’t expand on one question enough” that was all. It came through a recruiter and he said you would’ve had it if it they had 2 places. They would’ve snapped your hand off because you’re great.

You just think though well i probably wasn’t great or they’d have had me. Or maybe it was a blessing in disguise. Who knows. I just feel so deflated 3 application rejections 2 job interview rejections. What gives??
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Back in February I must have done about 5-6 applications. Had one interview from those and was rejected from that one.
It's great that you got to interview. It's even better than you got some really positive feedback.

At the end of the day, you're being compared to other people. They have a fixed number of vacancies. It's not like shortlisting where you either meet a certain threshold or you don't. It's possible that they just liked the other person better and that's it.

Take this feedback as a positive, it means you are doing the right things. Keep doing those right things in the next interview and best of luck.
username4882106
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Back in February I must have done about 5-6 applications. Had one interview from those and was rejected from that one.
It's great that you got to interview. It's even better than you got some really positive feedback.

At the end of the day, you're being compared to other people. They have a fixed number of vacancies. It's not like shortlisting where you either meet a certain threshold or you don't. It's possible that they just liked the other person better and that's it.

Take this feedback as a positive, it means you are doing the right things. Keep doing those right things in the next interview and best of luck.
Ah that means so much to me. Thank you! I felt like such a failure. But I guess what’s meant to be always finds it’s way!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by w678)
Today was my second interview. In all honesty my heart wasn’t in it as it’s an hour commute and I did want to withdraw after the school tour but I figured no, just do it, if you get it stuck it out for the year then move on as jobs are hard to find right now especially for teaching.

I went into interview they were really pleased with my lesson but the only thing they said in terms of why I didn’t get it was “I didn’t expand on one question enough” that was all. It came through a recruiter and he said you would’ve had it if it they had 2 places. They would’ve snapped your hand off because you’re great.

You just think though well i probably wasn’t great or they’d have had me. Or maybe it was a blessing in disguise. Who knows. I just feel so deflated 3 application rejections 2 job interview rejections. What gives??
Getting 2/5 interviews is good going- you must be doing something right!

This is a really tough year for recruitment in teaching, and you're unlikely to just walk into a job even in a shortage subject. Last year, a lot of NQTs struggled to get jobs, this year a lot of unis over recruited, there are also people who are trying to return to teaching.

Personally, I would avoid working with recruiters, because if things are really close, it's likely the school will go with a candidate who's applied direct, as it will save you money.

Rejection is so tough, but you've just got to pick yourself up and keep on going!
hotpud
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by username4882106)

It's really tough right now. I think as a body, teachers are staying put because opportunities outside teaching are limited because of the pandemic. And when you go to an interview, you are up against seasoned teachers looking for new opportunities or teachers who came into the school on a temporary contract looking for something more permanent. Keep your head up and keep trying is all I can say. You are now into Half Term 6 and only NQT candidates can realistically apply for jobs now as teachers leaving now would have to leave in October.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.61%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
44.88%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.72%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.79%

Watched Threads