danturpin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
is it better to have a section 'key skills on your cv or should you put them in your 'personal statement' and 'employment details'
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danturpin)
is it better to have a section 'key skills on your cv or should you put them in your 'personal statement' and 'employment details'
No, employers want to see how you got your skills in context. Taking them out of context and putting them into a key skills list severely weakens them. Employers pretty much just ignore key skills lists because they presume the applicant is just making things up.

There’s also no such thing as a personal statement in a real CV. You send a CV with a covering letter and that’s where you say why you want to do that sort of work.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
No, employers want to see how you got your skills in context. Taking them out of context and putting them into a key skills list severely weakens them. Employers pretty much just ignore key skills lists because they presume the applicant is just making things up.

There’s also no such thing as a personal statement in a real CV. You send a CV with a covering letter and that’s where you say why you want to do that sort of work.
You can write your key skills in your CV in context, but in a way that facilitates further discussion. Interviewers, including myself, read these sections.

Personal statements can be incorporated (but usually not replaced) in a CV as a short introduction paragraph at the start. I’ve found this is one of the ways I’m hooked into investing my full attention to reading a CV.

The best example I’ve seen is something like “A proactive and multi disciplined [role] with proven success in real world problem solving.”, then the applicant highlighted the problem solving in the key skills with mention of a project. All of which was relevant to the role.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chris2892)
You can write your key skills in your CV in context, but in a way that facilitates further discussion. Interviewers, including myself, read these sections.

Personal statements can be incorporated (but usually not replaced) in a CV as a short introduction paragraph at the start. I’ve found this is one of the ways I’m hooked into investing my full attention to reading a CV.

The best example I’ve seen is something like “A proactive and multi disciplined [role] with proven success in real world problem solving.”, then the applicant highlighted the problem solving in the key skills with mention of a project. All of which was relevant to the role.
Which is all very fine if you've got 5+ years of professional experience and solid, relevant evidence. The issue is that at the start of your career, you are simply regurgitating the words you know the employer wants to hear. You aren't pro-active in the professional sense, at best you are a kid who's got off their backside and done a lot of teenage activities. You aren't multi-disciplined in a professional sense of able to cover HR and Finance and IT, you maybe handle playing a sport at a decent level, grade 5 on an instrument and have decent school grades, and you don't have business problem-solving skills - at least, not to sufficient depth that they define your style.

A CV is already a summary document, putting another summary in, early in your career is just a waste of valuable space. When you've got enough of a professional career to evidence that your role in a team is the logistician, or the problem solver, or the motivator, then absolutely highlight those skills at the top of a CV when that's the role the employer is looking for. But for entry level, part time or non-career roles, just crack on with the evidence, and leave out the self-fulfilling that's just 'you would say that wouldn't you'
route255
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danturpin)
I list my skills but make sure its relevant for role. Skills acquired from employment and study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.34%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.57%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (74)
13.17%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.69%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (27)
4.8%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.68%
Financial worries (35)
6.23%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.05%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.96%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.19%

Watched Threads