Meeting GF's parents for the first time

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone have any tips? i'm super nervous as i have never met parents before of someone i am dating and have no idea where to start like how to even address her mum or dad.

SOS help?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Honestly it depends what her parents are like. Ask her are they strict, are they chilled out, do they expect anything etc. Your gf will want your parents to like you as much as you want them to like you so she'll help you out i'm sure. It'll be awkward but honestly just be open and be yourself, don't be afraid to spark up a conversation and just get to know them a bit. You don't have to do this within minutes of meeting them but just throughout the day don't ignore their existence and be nice to them.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Similar thing applies with whenever you’re meeting someone new for the first time. When this happens, i find it mysterious in a way. You don’t actually know this person, so probably starting off by building a strong foundation with them. They will ask you questions; what you do, your life values, why you’re dating her, or even add a banter comment to see how you react. It’s fine to be awkward because I’m sure they know that it’s scary being the boyfriend of their daughter - so they also are probably nervous too and having to play a role.

Don’t talk to them like they’re your friends though, but more with authority and respect. Potentially if you go on to marrying her, the first impression is crucial, not only that but the vibes need to be in place.

Carry yourself how you normally would do. If they don’t like you for you then at least you know that instead of them liking a fake version of you. You can progress outside of your shell as you become more comfortable.

Your GF will probably be trying to make things calm and ask for your input in some things. Speak up with confidence and be proud that you are calling the girl besides you your Girlfriend. Don’t do all that mouse stuff. Be about your business and they’ll treat you like you know your stuff.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Assuming they are married, address them first off as Mr/Mrs x, which will hopefully get the response of "Oh, call me **first name**", unless you are young teen; they might want to keep it a bit more formal then.

Take a small gift; flowers (if going to their house and not out somewhere for a meal, too awkward to carry), chocolates, nice biscuits.

Get some background from your girlfriend about their jobs, hobbies, holidays. You can then use that in conversation as you need to be asking questions as well as talking about yourself.

If there's coffee or a meal, offer to help tidy up or do the washing up.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does anyone have any tips? i'm super nervous as i have never met parents before of someone i am dating and have no idea where to start like how to even address her mum or dad.

SOS help?
I am not sure if that helps but i had a great relationship with the parents of the last girl i loved. We even went on holiday together (me + the girls family) and people thought we were siblings and commented things like "they look so similar to the parents" which we found hilarious. So yeah it may end up really well. Good luck. I personally would be much more concerned about the girl meeting my parents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.35%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.88%
Not bothered either way (33)
12.94%
I'm really nervous (48)
18.82%

Watched Threads