Approximations and hypothesis tests question ( need help )

Watch
MrNobody579
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Three unbiased tetrahedral dice, each with faces labelled 1, 2, 3 and 4, are thrown 160 times. Using a suitable approximation, estimate the probability of getting at least two ‘treble fours’.

I'd extremely appreciate it if someone can send a worked solution for this! Thanks
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MrNobody579)
Three unbiased tetrahedral dice, each with faces labelled 1, 2, 3 and 4, are thrown 160 times. Using a suitable approximation, estimate the probability of getting at least two ‘treble fours’.

I'd extremely appreciate it if someone can send a worked solution for this! Thanks
Are you in university? I mean the thing is the tetrahedron does not have equally-sized faces so the probabilities are not as simple as 1/4?
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Luwei)
Are you in university? I mean the thing is the tetrahedron does not have equally-sized faces so the probabilities are not as simple as 1/4?
They said unbiased in the question so I think you can assume the probability of each is 1/4. Theres no need to over complicate it
MrNobody579
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Luwei)
Unbiased, so it is 1/4 for each.
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unbiased, so it is 1/4 for each.
Well I believe you would find the probability for a treble four (1/4)^3. Then use this in a binomial distribution with n =160 and p = the probability of a treble 4. Then calculate p(x>=2)
username1732133
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The Poisson distribution is suitable in this case. A normal approximation will not be very accurate. These questions seem a bit pointless now that your calculator will not have a problem with the binomial distribution for this question.

You can compare results here: https://burymathstutor.co.uk/compareapprox.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
16.37%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (55)
32.16%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (19)
11.11%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
9.36%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.09%
I think it's an unfair expectation (43)
25.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise