AW_1983
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've recently begun familiarising myself with the SQE 1 syllabus with a view to beginning formal study in September. By way of background, at 38 I'll be older than average when I sit the SQE and I don't hold an LLB or GDL qualification but I am a chartered secretary. What I've noticed from the company law syllabus is that this does not go into the same level of depth as my previous study and it is not even a requirement to recall cases and I found this somewhat surprising.

I have heard on this forum and others that some firms will not consider the SQE sufficient without additional preparation (i.e. an LLB or GDL). This isn't an invite to criticise the SQE more broadly and I'm not looking for flippant remarks about the SQE being easier than the LLB/GDL and LPC route to qualification as I think that conversation has been had many times over.

What I would welcome however is any anecdotal evidence of firms' views on the SQE and whether there are concerns about any skills gaps in particular. Also, would firms consider a preparation course specifically geared towards the SQE such as the ones offered by BARBRI, QLTS sufficient or are there deeper concerns about content?
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
The City firms that have taken a position on this seem to want their future trainees to have done a GDL (or equivalent) before doing the SQE. https://www.legalcheek.com/2020/05/c...sation-course/

The problem is that most firms haven't really set a policy on this, or, if they have, have only announced it in relation to the students they sponsor as opposed to self-funders. It might be worth emailing them directly.
AW_1983
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
The City firms that have taken a position on this seem to want their future trainees to have done a GDL (or equivalent) before doing the SQE. https://www.legalcheek.com/2020/05/c...sation-course/

The problem is that most firms haven't really set a policy on this, or, if they have, have only announced it in relation to the students they sponsor as opposed to self-funders. It might be worth emailing them directly.
Thank you, that's a helpful indicator. I know the SQE syllabus has changed a bit since that article was published but I did do a mock test out of curiosity and I was alarmed by how many I got right with my limited knowledge gained from my ICSA studies. I don't think I could pass the thing but I probably wouldn't be far off. It seems possible to logically deduce the right answer provided you have a basic knowledge of how the law works. My concern is that even if a firm did accept me just by passing the SQE, I would sink when I got there because my knowledge wouldn't be up to scratch.

I have emailed a few firms in my local area but I haven't had any responses back. I know the SQE can be a controversial topic because it's meant to improve access but might not do so and I wonder whether firms think I'm a journalist when I send them emails asking if they think it is sufficient as a qualification on its own!
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AW_1983)
Thank you, that's a helpful indicator. I know the SQE syllabus has changed a bit since that article was published but I did do a mock test out of curiosity and I was alarmed by how many I got right with my limited knowledge gained from my ICSA studies. I don't think I could pass the thing but I probably wouldn't be far off. It seems possible to logically deduce the right answer provided you have a basic knowledge of how the law works. My concern is that even if a firm did accept me just by passing the SQE, I would sink when I got there because my knowledge wouldn't be up to scratch.

I have emailed a few firms in my local area but I haven't had any responses back. I know the SQE can be a controversial topic because it's meant to improve access but might not do so and I wonder whether firms think I'm a journalist when I send them emails asking if they think it is sufficient as a qualification on its own!
What kind of firms are you interested in specifically? I suspect that the answer you're going to get will vary depending on that.

It's never a bad idea to set aside an hour and just call a bunch of the firms, you're probably going to sound more sincere and like a real person on the phone. Anyone can pretend to be a student or prospective applicant via email!
AW_1983
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
What kind of firms are you interested in specifically? I suspect that the answer you're going to get will vary depending on that.

It's never a bad idea to set aside an hour and just call a bunch of the firms, you're probably going to sound more sincere and like a real person on the phone. Anyone can pretend to be a student or prospective applicant via email!
Regional corporate firms are where I'm pitching. If I was 21 I would want to be in the City but I've had that experience in the bank and I'm done with it!

I think I'm going to look out for some careers fairs, think they are still happening on Zoom!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads