SQE for Non-Law Graduates

Watch this thread
AW_1983
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've recently begun familiarising myself with the SQE 1 syllabus with a view to beginning formal study in September. By way of background, at 38 I'll be older than average when I sit the SQE and I don't hold an LLB or GDL qualification but I am a chartered secretary. What I've noticed from the company law syllabus is that this does not go into the same level of depth as my previous study and it is not even a requirement to recall cases and I found this somewhat surprising.

I have heard on this forum and others that some firms will not consider the SQE sufficient without additional preparation (i.e. an LLB or GDL). This isn't an invite to criticise the SQE more broadly and I'm not looking for flippant remarks about the SQE being easier than the LLB/GDL and LPC route to qualification as I think that conversation has been had many times over.

What I would welcome however is any anecdotal evidence of firms' views on the SQE and whether there are concerns about any skills gaps in particular. Also, would firms consider a preparation course specifically geared towards the SQE such as the ones offered by BARBRI, QLTS sufficient or are there deeper concerns about content?
AW_1983
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Thank you, that's a helpful indicator. I know the SQE syllabus has changed a bit since that article was published but I did do a mock test out of curiosity and I was alarmed by how many I got right with my limited knowledge gained from my ICSA studies. I don't think I could pass the thing but I probably wouldn't be far off. It seems possible to logically deduce the right answer provided you have a basic knowledge of how the law works. My concern is that even if a firm did accept me just by passing the SQE, I would sink when I got there because my knowledge wouldn't be up to scratch.

I have emailed a few firms in my local area but I haven't had any responses back. I know the SQE can be a controversial topic because it's meant to improve access but might not do so and I wonder whether firms think I'm a journalist when I send them emails asking if they think it is sufficient as a qualification on its own!
AW_1983
Rep:
Regional corporate firms are where I'm pitching. If I was 21 I would want to be in the City but I've had that experience in the bank and I'm done with it!

I think I'm going to look out for some careers fairs, think they are still happening on Zoom!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
17.24%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (21)
24.14%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (47)
54.02%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.6%

Watched Threads