RandomTennisfan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So the internet in my accommodation is pretty bad, can’t run some games at all because of it. Tried buying an Ethernet cable for my laptop and run it off that still nothing. Any other suggestions please? Just want to try and play Cod and have a stable connection.
HL_43
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Take it up with your uni. Can't really do anymore.
RandomTennisfan
Rep:
?
(Original post by HL_43)
Take it up with your uni. Can't really do anymore.
Yeah I’ve emailed them and no reply, going to try finding a number and calling them.
Last edited by RandomTennisfan; 1 month ago
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When you run a broadband speed test, what are your download, upload and ping results?
https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Last edited by 0le; 1 month ago
RandomTennisfan
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
When you run a broadband speed test, what are your download, upload and ping results?
https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
It’s 63 mps
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know how many other users you're sharing this connection with?

All it takes is 2 or 3 users to be streaming video or to download a game update or to be uploading large files for it to make your Internet connection annoyingly slow and inconsistent.
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RandomTennisfan)
It’s 63 mps
So I have not heard of that unit before and you should have received three numbers with units, a download speed, an upload speed and a ping. For online gaming with FPS styled games, ideally you want a low ping, something around 5ms but anything less then 50ms should be fine. If you are getting pings of 100ms or higher you will experience lag.
JustSomeGuy:/
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 0le)
So I have not heard of that unit before and you should have received three numbers with units, a download speed, an upload speed and a ping. For online gaming with FPS styled games, ideally you want a low ping, something around 5ms but anything less then 50ms should be fine. If you are getting pings of 100ms or higher you will experience lag.
Think they meant mbps
martin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RandomTennisfan)
So the internet in my accommodation is pretty bad, can’t run some games at all because of it. Tried buying an Ethernet cable for my laptop and run it off that still nothing. Any other suggestions please? Just want to try and play Cod and have a stable connection.
What do you mean by they can't run at all? Do you mean that they don't start? Or that you can't play multiplayer games across the network? Is it possible that this is a NAT problem?

Your best bet is to contact the IT department, tell them which game(s) don't work, and see what they suggest.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mobile Hotspot?
RandomTennisfan
Rep:
?
So an update on this the people who deal with the internet confirmed there is actually a problem between the connection lines and an engineer is coming to sort it. When I say games can’t run the online won’t load at all like Cod Cold War and others
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay, well good luck. Let us know what the problem turned out to be if possible.
RandomTennisfan
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
Okay, well good luck. Let us know what the problem turned out to be if possible.
The router was the problem which needs replacing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
16.37%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (55)
32.16%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (19)
11.11%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
9.36%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.09%
I think it's an unfair expectation (43)
25.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.75%

Watched Threads