What type of unis can i get accepted into ?

Watch
billsj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I didn't have a good education, due to only doing yr 11 at school

I got
maths - 4
English lit - 4
English lang - 5
Combined science 3-3
Physics - 3

Public service level 3 D*D*
HSC Level 3 DM

I know it isn't the best, but for my situation with my education, I think this is ok? is it?

What type of unis would I get accepted to. Also, I took the oxford IQ test it was 110 IQ.
shooonthebeat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by billsj)

I got
maths - 4
English lit - 4
English lang - 5
Combined science 3-3
Physics - 3

HSC Level 3 DM

I know it isn't the best, but for my situation with my education, I think this is ok? is it?

What type of unis would I get accepted to. Also, I took the oxford IQ test it was 110 IQ.
Honestly GCSEs are pretty irrelevant after school, you just need your 5 A* - C's and you've got that. IQ is irrelevant, unis don't check your IQ when you apply to them. As for your other grades you've actually got very good grades so you'll probably get into most unis. However, it depends on the course you want to do. Check how many UCAS points you need for the course you're applying to and use this calculator to see if you've got enough (this is for everything after GCSEs):
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
billsj
Rep:
?
thankyou, what degree u doing
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm studying Games Art at Teesside University
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unis mainly look at level 3 qualifications as far as entry requirements go, i.e. A-levels, level 3 BTEC courses, etc. Note that some degree courses will require specific background at A-level or equivalent e.g. most engineering degrees would require A-level Maths and A-level Physics or equivalent (however sometimes such courses are available with a foundation year for those who didn't do the right subjects in school). So check the entry requirements of the courses you are looking at.

As above for most unis/courses GCSEs are unimportant, with the exception that most require GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths to grade C/5 or above (sometimes they might require higher for certain courses). You may want to explore options to retake your GCSE Maths as a result, since you might be slightly limited with a 4.

Some universities use the UCAS tariff as linked previously, although note that not all universities use this and many will set specific requirements e.g. ABB at A-level, DDM in a BTEC extended diploma, instead of using the UCAS tariff. So do check the requirements of individual unis again. Realistically you need to start by deciding what you want to study at uni, then look at the requirements for that course at a number of universities and see how your qualifications match up to those.
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I got
maths - 4
English lit - 4
English lang - 5
Combined science 3-3
Physics - 3

HSC Level 3 DM

unis usually don’t look much at GSCES unless you’re going to do medicine or something like that.
A lot of universities go on ucas points so you’d go to the ucas calculator on the ucas website and find out what your level three qualifications are equivalent to.
billsj
Rep:
?
Ya sure, due to my lack of education. as I joined yr 12 i didn't even know what a casestudie was,nor how to even revise. I'm planning on retaking gcse/a-levles.
Ik I'm capable due to be predicted U's in yr 11, due to that I had the fastest yrly progression for grades in yr 11. start of the yr I did all the tests was getting 0/1's and in English I was getting 8b in primary grades
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I got
maths - 4
English lit - 4
English lang - 5
Combined science 3-3
Physics - 3

HSC Level 3 DM

artful_lounger's advice above is really good, (as always). I agree with everything they've put and would encourage you to follow their guidance.

Just regarding peoples comments on GCSE's. Unis generally will care about your GCSE Eng and Maths results. They'll have minimum grades for both, (either as a broad university requirement, or specific to a course). As above, there are many places where 4 for both will be fine, but it may limit your options a bit, so after having looked around at a few possible unis, you may want to think about retaking.
billsj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
artful_lounger's advice above is really good, (as always). I agree with everything they've put and would encourage you to follow their guidance.

Just regarding peoples comments on GCSE's. Unis generally will care about your GCSE Eng and Maths results. They'll have minimum grades for both, (either as a broad university requirement, or specific to a course). As above, there are many places where 4 for both will be fine, but it may limit your options a bit, so after having looked around at a few possible unis, you may want to think about retaking.
I was planning to do CCCU for Nursing/mental health nursing then another degree in acheology.

I want a honest opinion and blunt,
For my condition of only having one yr of school in yr 11, what would u say my grades are (good,bad)? Because I'm a bit confused, I see people who ain't missed school with 5 GCSE at C. Would this put me above the average populous if I had a full education? and would be getting 3 passes give me a edge,due to unis taking in educational experience
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shooonthebeat)
I'm studying Games Art at Teesside University
I studied there
TinyPizza128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I got
maths - 4
English lit - 4
English lang - 5
Combined science 3-3
Physics - 3

HSC Level 3 DM

I think as long as you have at least 4/5 in Maths and English most unis would probably give you a conditional offer (don't quote me on that). Just make sure to check your Ucas points and the entry requirements.
billsj
Rep:
?
im hoping for 112 for public and 64 for hsc
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was planning to do CCCU for Nursing/mental health nursing then another degree in acheology.

I want a honest opinion and blunt,
For my condition of only having one yr of school in yr 11, what would u say my grades are (good,bad)? Because I'm a bit confused, I see people who ain't missed school with 5 GCSE at C. Would this put me above the average populous if I had a full education? and would be getting 3 passes give me a edge,due to unis taking in educational experience
Your grades being above or below average is irrelevant. The vast majority of undergraduate courses don't compare your GCSE results to other candidates. You just need to meet the stated minimum grades.
TinyPizza128
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Game design and development at sheffield hallam (hopefully)
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
Don't think GCSEs are as important. For A-Level and equivalent though, if you're looking at engineering courses then you'll likely need maths or consider doing a foundation year for the uni course.
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TinyPizza128)
Game design and development at sheffield hallam (hopefully)
Maths isn't required for that, but will still be helpful to do maths and science subjects. It will share similar modules to computer science at the beginning and then branch out.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
billsj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Maths isn't required for that, but will still be helpful to do maths and science subjects. It will share similar modules to computer science at the beginning and then branch out.
ive made a quick 10 min stickman game in 2018, this was when I was stuck indoors due to my mental health. Coding is fun and can be easy for the basics on unity, What do u wanna become in computer science anyways
TinyPizza128
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Yeah there's more of an empathesis on getting a good english grade for games classes becasue you need good verbal and written communication skills
TinyPizza128
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ive made a quick 10 min stickman game in 2018, this was when I was stuck indoors due to my mental health. Coding is fun and can be easy for the basics on unity, What do u wanna become in computer science anyways
a Game designer hence why i'm doing a game design course
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
I already work in software engineering and DevOps. I did computer science at university many, many years ago.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (47)
15.02%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (101)
32.27%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (39)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.63%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25.24%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed