123GRace321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Idk wether to go uni in October, take a gap year and get work experience to decide what field I want to work in or do an apprenticeship. I have applied for a criminology degree but am now thinking of alternative routes and question whether I can acc see myself enjoying studying for 4 more years. I wanted to join the police but my parents have continually told me they don’t like the idea so idk if I should pursue it or not. I’m Also a v creative person and have a passion for creating new things and ideas. My dream is to start my own clothing business, I’ve started researching design and marketing degrees but my parents think it is a bs career so I’m at a dead end. What should I do I have just over a month until results day and I’m panicking.
alm353
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 123GRace321)
Idk wether to go uni in October, take a gap year and get work experience to decide what field I want to work in or do an apprenticeship. I have applied for a criminology degree but am now thinking of alternative routes and question whether I can acc see myself enjoying studying for 4 more years. I wanted to join the police but my parents have continually told me they don’t like the idea so idk if I should pursue it or not. I’m Also a v creative person and have a passion for creating new things and ideas. My dream is to start my own clothing business, I’ve started researching design and marketing degrees but my parents think it is a bs career so I’m at a dead end. What should I do I have just over a month until results day and I’m panicking.
Hi! I'm so sorry that your parents aren't being supportive of your ideas - I have faced a very similar situation myself. I allowed myself to be talked out of a career path by my dad, who didn't approve of it, and I spent the next few years trying other career options out by studying the subjects myself to see if they interest me - my dad constantly refers to this as me 'flitting from subject to subject without direction' and uses it to question my ability to function as an independent adult. However, the time I have taken to pursue my range of interests has opened up a door back to the path I turned away from after high school, and I'm basically having to lie to him about what the job is & where I'm going in order to be left in peace to pursue it.

Basically, I think you should do your best not to take your parents' opinions into consideration when deciding your future, as it is your future and not theirs. You may have to keep it to yourself for a little while in order to buy yourself the time & space to make your final decision, but it is important to put yourself first

P.S. All of the options you mentioned sound really interesting! I think you should pick the one that's pulling you the most at the moment, but if they're all roughly similar, try picking one and see how you feel about the decision; it might help you realise which one you really want the most
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There’s loads of materials out there to help you identify potential career routes. Most aren’t free, but they do tend to be more valuable.

I was bought a book called StrengthsFinder by Gallup.
The idea being, instead of trying to balance out your strengths and weaknesses, you focus on working to your strengths.
It identifies careers that you may thrive in from your indicated strengths. It also includes a profile questionnaire that gives you a unique report in return. At the very least, it gives you something to talk about in interviews and cover letters.

I think it’s about £14 on Amazon.
I still use mine for development goals well into my career.

Self reflection is super hard early on when you’re trying to figure out what you want to do.
Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
16.3%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (57)
30.98%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (21)
11.41%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.7%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (9)
4.89%
I think it's an unfair expectation (48)
26.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.63%

Watched Threads