Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello I believe God exists but I don’t fully agree with the Bible. I don’t think LGBTQIA+ is a sin at all, I don’t think sex before marriage is wrong.

Is there a name for believing in God but not in the Bible?
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"God-fearing" might do for a lack of a better word. Which god you're referring to, by the way?
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
maybe secular theist? you don't have a religion but you do believe in god
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
agnosticism includes those who believe in a god, but don't think the nature of said god is knowable
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello I believe God exists but I don’t fully agree with the Bible. I don’t think LGBTQIA+ is a sin at all, I don’t think sex before marriage is wrong.

You don't believe in "God", you believe in "a god".
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
agnosticism includes those who believe in a god, but don't think the nature of said god is knowable
Agnostic is simply an admission of a lack of knowledge/certainty in a position. The OP seems certain that a god exists, just not which version of god. So possibly a "gnostic deist" but an "agnostic theist"?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

You could always call yourself a deist? Or if you feel you are aligned with a particular faith/denomination, you could say you are "liberal" whatever? Like I call myself a liberal Roman Catholic (sometimes called a 'cafeteria' (i.e. pick and choose) Catholic amongst more hardcore Catholics) :yep:
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QE2)
Agnostic is simply an admission of a lack of knowledge/certainty in a position. The OP seems certain that a god exists, just not which version of god. So possibly a "gnostic deist" but an "agnostic theist"?
agnostic theist would probably be more accurate to what I was talking about
Zamestaneh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If a person acknowledges God and that God is All Knowing and All Wise, then anything He decrees or knows is immoral is immoral.

Subjectively deciding what is moral and immoral for yourself (in light of divine revelation) is self-worship and taking oneself as a god besides Him.

I do not follow the Bible (as I am Muslim) but the point I am making is that one needs to be careful about letting emotion cloud their judgement. If there are other reasons why you do not follow it, then that's sufficient, but if it is solely for reasons pertaining to morality, then it is like me saying the sea is not blue because I don't like the colour blue. Just ponder on it.

In answer to your thread title though, you are perhaps a deist.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe deist.
Have you looked into the Quaker religious movement?

Don't forget that there are many different approaches to religion, sects, religious books of scripture and interpretations of their content.
Not all approaches to religion are hitched to the same wagons upon which the fundamentalist camp is built: scriptural infallibility, the literal interpretation of all religious texts, religious absolutism and the inerrancy of specific translations of versions of religious scripture
bsbsuccess
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Sensible?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
16.04%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (59)
31.55%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (21)
11.23%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.56%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (10)
5.35%
I think it's an unfair expectation (48)
25.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed