Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have a conditional offer to study Accounting & Finance at uni of Liverpool for 2021. I want to switch to an economics degree but I have not done an equivalent of A level mathematics which is a requirement for entry. Is there still a way I can do the economics degree maybe by doing a foundation year/ course or something?
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I have a conditional offer to study Accounting & Finance at uni of Liverpool for 2021. I want to switch to an economics degree but I have not done an equivalent of A level mathematics which is a requirement for entry. Is there still a way I can do the economics degree maybe by doing a foundation year/ course or something?
You might be able to. Ask the department and the Foundation Year team, which would be at Carmel College.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Assuming you have already applied it might be difficult to change courses until Clearing - where you would need to meet the requirements of the course in clearing to be offered a place. Note there is no guarantee that Economics would be available in Clearing, and I believe that having the A-level in Maths is essential for the course. That said there is no harm emailing the admission tutor for the course (see on this page https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...hons/overview/ and see what they say as it is difficult for anyone other than them to give you a clear and accurate answer

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
You might be able to. Ask the department and the Foundation Year team, which would be at Carmel College.
Would it make more sense to wait until I have my results and my offer become unconditional to ask if I can switch since clearing is so uncertain/risky ?
Like if i get there and then ask to switch
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would it make more sense to wait until I have my results and my offer become unconditional to ask if I can switch since clearing is so uncertain/risky ?
I would still say to ask them now, as there may be limited places on the Foundation Year. You might be able to switch now. If you wait until you get there, it could be complex as it's not a straightforward transfer, and, to be honest, I'm not one hundred percent sure you can do Economics with a Foundation Year - if you can, it's not common at all. You will need to email Admissions and the department ASAP to check that this is even a possibility.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree, ask now. Waiting until Clearing just increases the chances that you won't be able to swap, (assuming the Foundation Year has a pathway to Economics without AL Maths). Your existing offer is safe so there is no harm in asking.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I agree, ask now. Waiting until Clearing just increases the chances that you won't be able to swap, (assuming the Foundation Year has a pathway to Economics without AL Maths). Your existing offer is safe so there is no harm in asking.
It doesn't seem like the university even offers this option: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...ng/foundation/

Contact them to see if they can make an exception, but it doesn't seem like you will be able to take Economics with a Foundation Year.
Last edited by Sandtrooper; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (53)
28.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.2%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
55.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads