kswales1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!
I was hoping someone could just check my working for this question! Any help if it's incorrect is much appreciated
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 11
Size:  126.9 KB

Here's my working:
Pressure of NO2 = 2 - 1.1 = 0.9atm
Kp = 0.9^2 / 2 = 0.405atm

Thanks for your help in advance
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kswales1)
Hi!
I was hoping someone could just check my working for this question! Any help if it's incorrect is much appreciated
Views: 11
Size:  126.9 KB

Here's my working:
Pressure of NO2 = 2 - 1.1 = 0.9atm
Kp = 0.9^2 / 2 = 0.405atm

Thanks for your help in advance
Try drawing a rice table. What do you think the pressure of N2O4 at equilibrium will be?
kswales1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
Try drawing a rice table. What do you think the pressure of N2O4 at equilibrium will be?
I'm not sure because I've never used a RICE table before, but here's what i did:
Views: 9
Size:  10.1 KB
Since we know the pressure of NO2 dropped by 1.1atm, that means it's partial pressure is 2 - 1.1 = 0.9. Using the RICE table, this means that 2x = 0.9, so x=0.45. The pressure of N2O4 at equib. is 2-x, so 2 - 0.45 = 1.55? Once again i've never used a rice table before so im not even sure if i've used it correctly.
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure because I've never used a RICE table before, but here's what i did:
Views: 9
Size:  10.1 KB
Since we know the pressure of NO2 dropped by 1.1atm, that means it's partial pressure is 2 - 1.1 = 0.9. Using the RICE table, this means that 2x = 0.9, so x=0.45. The pressure of N2O4 at equib. is 2-x, so 2 - 0.45 = 1.55? Once again i've never used a rice table before so im not even sure if i've used it correctly.
You’ve got the right idea. C stands for change and its -1.1 for NO2. You’ve done the right thing dividing C by 2 and switching the sign for N2O4. What you’ll need to do is 2 + 0.55. Then you put this into the Kc equation.
Last edited by Hellllpppp; 1 month ago
kswales1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
You’ve got the right idea. C stands for change and its -1.1 for NO2. You’ve done the right thing dividing C by 2 and switching the sign for N2O4. What you’ll need to do is 2 + 0.55. Then you put this into the Kc equation.
I'm sorry for replying so late!! I'm confused though, where did the 0.55 come from?
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm sorry for replying so late!! I'm confused though, where did the 0.55 come from?
-1.1 divided by 2 then flip the sign from negative to positive because it’s on the other side of the reaction
kswales1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
-1.1 divided by 2 then flip the sign from negative to positive because it’s on the other side of the reaction
Ohh ok. So does that mean the partial pressure of the N2O4 is 2 - 0.55?
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ohh ok. So does that mean the partial pressure of the N2O4 is 2 - 0.55?
It’s 2 + 0.55 because the partial pressure of NO2 falls so the pressure of N2O4 must rise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads