Moving to university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so I'm sure there are many people in a similar position so I am just looking for some advice. I am supposed to be moving away for uni this September (said uni is 1 hour and a half away) and I do not feel ready at all so am considering deferring a year. Combined with this I am in a year long relationship, however my boyfriend is in year 12 so obviously won't be going to uni this year. I sort of want to defer anyway but I know the fact I want to save my relationship is playing a big part in whether I stay or go. I am just looking for advice really, do you think the relationship will be okay no matter if I stay or go? Will deferring help me as an individual? I honestly have no idea so someone help please, thanks so much!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, so I'm sure there are many people in a similar position so I am just looking for some advice. I am supposed to be moving away for uni this September (said uni is 1 hour and a half away) and I do not feel ready at all so am considering deferring a year. Combined with this I am in a year long relationship, however my boyfriend is in year 12 so obviously won't be going to uni this year. I sort of want to defer anyway but I know the fact I want to save my relationship is playing a big part in whether I stay or go. I am just looking for advice really, do you think the relationship will be okay no matter if I stay or go? Will deferring help me as an individual? I honestly have no idea so someone help please, thanks so much!
Go!
Only you really know whether or not your relationship might be long lasting but long-term it's probably not going to be a significant part of your life.
Cupur
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't sacrifice your education for a relationship, remember books not boys
and honestly living only 1 and half hours away isn't actually that big a distance
so honestly won't even be that big a deal if you go to uni, you'll still be able to see him
"Will deferring help me as an individual?" no it won't
Adz2042
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whilst you can always do university at any stage in life, you'll feel like you fit in if it's with people who are of similar age to you.
eg: 18-21.
So I would say: Go to uni while you have the chance too!
Relationships can work in addition to the uni lifestyle.
But make sure the institute is the right one for you. Attend open days (as many as possible) and enjoy it!
ważzer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What if you broke up with your boyfriend on the first week of term? You'd feel pretty silly deferring then. Go to uni, if the relationship is meant to be you can make it work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.14%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.93%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads