The Student Room Group

Are end of year 12 mocks important if i take a gap year?

I'm aware that year 12 mocks detemine the predicted ucas grades for uni but would the unis still take in to consideration these grades if i have a gap year as when applying they already know my final alevel results.
Things might change for you in your gap year, and some sixth will still recommend alternative courses and education if you fail mocks
Also if you get good grades in mocks, still apply to unis in year 13, you can have an offer and then defer it for a year so you can go on your gap year knowing that it is sorted without having to worry about applying to unis on your gap year. Plus your school will help you with your application and as soon as you leave they have no obligation to do so.
In short yes, try to do well and yes they do matter
Original post by Roasted Potato
Things might change for you in your gap year, and some sixth will still recommend alternative courses and education if you fail mocks
Also if you get good grades in mocks, still apply to unis in year 13, you can have an offer and then defer it for a year so you can go on your gap year knowing that it is sorted without having to worry about applying to unis on your gap year. Plus your school will help you with your application and as soon as you leave they have no obligation to do so.
In short yes, try to do well and yes they do matter

Im certain i will do ok in my mocks hoping for BBB but i need an AAB for my course, will my uni accept my offer and be confident i will get the grades in the final exam ?
Original post by rowangodfrey780
Im certain i will do ok in my mocks hoping for BBB but i need an AAB for my course, will my uni accept my offer and be confident i will get the grades in the final exam ?

At the end of the day why would you offer a bbb student a place rather than an aab student? You wouldn't. So do your best.
Try your best, most people do go up grades and the mock grades only help predict your real grades, hopefully your teachers will predict you a little higher as well! So in theory bbb mocks mean a aab predictions which means your uni should offer you a place
That being said just because you meet what they have said is the requirement they are more than able to up it depending on the cohort of applicants
If you are eventually applying with achieved grades then your predicted grades are totally irrelevant - Unis make decisions based on reality not a wish-list.

Quick Reply

Latest