Should I pick Biology to keep my options open despite not enjoying it

Watch
pr245
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know I want to do English Literature and History at A Levels, but I need a third option. I was set on doing Biology to keep my options open, however after doing a taster session I found it VERY boring compared to the other two and I'm worried I won't do as well if I'm not interested in it.I considered Politics as it seems to fit with English Literature and History, although I'm worried if I do want a career in science and I limit myself by choosing 3 similar A Levels.I've also been told doing Biology by itself without Maths/Physics/Chemistry makes it slightly less useful in the future. I think I would be capable of doing Biology, but it just doesn't interest me in the same way History and English Literature do.Any advice?
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What area of science would you want a career in? If your not interested in doing A-level sciences why do you think a career in science is something you’d be interested in?

Just stick with studying what you enjoy and it should lead you to a career you enjoy. Don’t worry too much about the usefulness of your subjects or doing subjects just to keep options open unless there’s a specific option you’re actually interested in.
pr245
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
What area of science would you want a career in? If your not interested in doing A-level sciences why do you think a career in science is something you’d be interested in?

Just stick with studying what you enjoy and it should lead you to a career you enjoy. Don’t worry too much about the usefulness of your subjects or doing subjects just to keep options open unless there’s a specific option you’re actually interested in.
Honestly, I have no idea what career I would want. I think a part of me is doing Biology because my dad went down that route, as well as other members of my family. I think I have it in my head that a science career will somehow make me more successful.

I have a real passion for History and I enjoy English and you're right, a career with subjects I enjoy will be better. Thanks for the help
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pr245)
Honestly, I have no idea what career I would want. I think a part of me is doing Biology because my dad went down that route, as well as other members of my family. I think I have it in my head that a science career will somehow make me more successful.

I have a real passion for History and I enjoy English and you're right, a career with subjects I enjoy will be better. Thanks for the help
You're also right in that bio and chem are usually wanted together. Do what you like. Bio is a LOT of content ( and I love it ) but wow. Do NOT do it if you don't like it
Kogomogo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends what career you want. If you don't need it to get into uni / future careers then it would be better to get a good grade in something you enjoy and are naturally talented at rather than end up hating the biology course and getting a poor grade as a result.
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pr245)

No problem I really hope you enjoy your A-levels and everything works out, I think politics goes well with history so if you enjoy it go for it! Just look at all the options available to you that seem interesting, who knows you’re third subject might be something you’ve never even heard of

It’s funny you’re the opposite to me my whole family are doing/ did humanities subjects and I’m going into STEM.
ryanalevel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pr245)
I know I want to do English Literature and History at A Levels, but I need a third option. I was set on doing Biology to keep my options open, however after doing a taster session I found it VERY boring compared to the other two and I'm worried I won't do as well if I'm not interested in it.I considered Politics as it seems to fit with English Literature and History, although I'm worried if I do want a career in science and I limit myself by choosing 3 similar A Levels.I've also been told doing Biology by itself without Maths/Physics/Chemistry makes it slightly less useful in the future. I think I would be capable of doing Biology, but it just doesn't interest me in the same way History and English Literature do.Any advice?
Why not take 4 A-Levels to start with? For example, English Lit, History, Biol, Chem (or Maths, Physics etc). It might be a lot to start or you might actually enjoy doing 4 A-Levels. Some universities value those who do more than 3 A-Levels, i.e. Queen Mary's in London (Bart's).

I did 3 A-Levels in Biol, Chem, and Maths. I enjoyed every single A-Level. I am taking a gap year and am applying for 2022 entry Medicine. Despite me wanting to do Medicine, Biol was the least enjoyable for me maybe because I didn't find it REALLY challenging. Like the content is fine but the questions are hard. I liked topics like The Nervous System, Kidneys etc in Year 13 but you will come across dry topics in Year 12 especially which if you don't like a lot of information to learn will be boring... Chemistry is the most challenging out of the ones I did and I kinda liked it the most and did the best in it. Maths is great too.

It all depends for everyone. I'd say try 4 A-Levels and you might find that you enjoy studying Biol and Chem additionally or whatever. And if you don't, drop them. Give yourself an option to TRY them with actual A-Level content. Sometimes them taster sessions are not representative of the whole course. There are kinda dry bits of every subject but Biol does have its moments. Maybe also consider which route you want to go down now. I know you want to open up your options but English Lit and History are typical humanities subjects and go nicely to study subjects like Law at university. In that case, do a third subject you enjoy. You will drop Biol straight away if you don't enjoy it. Trust me. This boy in my school did 6 A-Levels and reduced it to 3-4 because he didn't enjoy some of the other subjects. Try to think about your future path now as choosing your A-Levels will be easier if that makes sense. There's no point having an A-Level in a subject that you do not enjoy or if it is not 100% required for your future degree if that's what you choose to do.

Sorry if this is long-winded. I just tried to provide a balanced argument
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pr245)
honestly if you don’t like biology I wouldn’t do it because you’re not going to enjoy studying it in depth, and if you don’t like it you’re not likely to do something later on related to biology so it might be a bit of a waste. I’d do politics as it ties in more with English and History
pr245
Rep:
?
Thanks so much to everyone who replied, it helped me realise that Biology probably isn't as good for me as I thought it would be! I also know that at my school the History and Politics courses cross over so I think it will help me so much more and I'll definitely find it more interesting
pr245
Rep:
?
(Original post by ryanalevel)
Why not take 4 A-Levels to start with? For example, English Lit, History, Biol, Chem (or Maths, Physics etc). It might be a lot to start or you might actually enjoy doing 4 A-Levels. Some universities value those who do more than 3 A-Levels, i.e. Queen Mary's in London (Bart's).

I did 3 A-Levels in Biol, Chem, and Maths. I enjoyed every single A-Level. I am taking a gap year and am applying for 2022 entry Medicine. Despite me wanting to do Medicine, Biol was the least enjoyable for me maybe because I didn't find it REALLY challenging. Like the content is fine but the questions are hard. I liked topics like The Nervous System, Kidneys etc in Year 13 but you will come across dry topics in Year 12 especially which if you don't like a lot of information to learn will be boring... Chemistry is the most challenging out of the ones I did and I kinda liked it the most and did the best in it. Maths is great too.

It all depends for everyone. I'd say try 4 A-Levels and you might find that you enjoy studying Biol and Chem additionally or whatever. And if you don't, drop them. Give yourself an option to TRY them with actual A-Level content. Sometimes them taster sessions are not representative of the whole course. There are kinda dry bits of every subject but Biol does have its moments. Maybe also consider which route you want to go down now. I know you want to open up your options but English Lit and History are typical humanities subjects and go nicely to study subjects like Law at university. In that case, do a third subject you enjoy. You will drop Biol straight away if you don't enjoy it. Trust me. This boy in my school did 6 A-Levels and reduced it to 3-4 because he didn't enjoy some of the other subjects. Try to think about your future path now as choosing your A-Levels will be easier if that makes sense. There's no point having an A-Level in a subject that you do not enjoy or if it is not 100% required for your future degree if that's what you choose to do.

Sorry if this is long-winded. I just tried to provide a balanced argument
Thanks for this! Unfortunately at my school, they don't really allow you to do 4 A-levels unless it's Maths with Further Maths. I have some 'step-up' work for this summer before we go into A-levels so I think I'm going to try and finish the Biology work just to confirm whether or not I want to do it and good luck in studying Medicine
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pr245)

Put some possible choices in here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
ayushm2605
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I dont think so . I also faced this probelem during my choice .
Actually I have 2 choice to take Physic ,chem , maths , Conputer sciecne OR Physics ,chem , Bio , Maths
But I choose maths and Computer science because if u r took bio , then you should prepare for both exam related to bio and maths and that i dont think so a good choice
on the other side , If u dont choose bio , you should prepare for Math exam only , And there are more opportunity than if u choose bio
Eparry05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pr245)
I do Biology, Psychology and History which I find are really fun. However I don’t think I would have been able to handle both biology and history if I didn’t enjoy the subject - you have to prioritise biology revision and work as there is so much you need to cover both in and outside of lesson. Not only this wider reading and enjoyment is what will help you through biology (this subject shouldn’t be chosen lightly!)
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pr245)
I wouldnt take biology. If you took biology and wanted to do that for degree level, you need another science to back it up. My daughter who just finished year 11 wants to do zoology, and even with biology, she needs either physics or chemistry (which she hates), or some unis allow psychology/geography (which she's taken). As you find biology boring anyway, its clearly not the one for you, and and you like English and History, having one relatable to that would be much better as it opens up to many different degree options.
ryanalevel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pr245)
Thanks for this! Unfortunately at my school, they don't really allow you to do 4 A-levels unless it's Maths with Further Maths. I have some 'step-up' work for this summer before we go into A-levels so I think I'm going to try and finish the Biology work just to confirm whether or not I want to do it and good luck in studying Medicine
Thank you. Good luck to you too with your finalised A-Level choices. I'm sure you'll be great doing whatever you end up with
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (51)
28.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
7.87%
No I am happy with my choice (99)
55.62%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads