Is it worth spending a bit more for first year accommodation?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I’m not mistaken, private accommodation in second year onwards tend to be a bit cheaper. So first year is the big money spender with halls, and going out more etc.

If I get say 9000 in loans, no support from family but I can supplement that with maybe 4000 from part time job savings. And then another few K if I work during the year. This is all hypothetical, but having a quick look at Kings College London, the cheapest accommodation for me is 6400, and that’s for a 14 bed flat. I’m not expecting luxury or anything, and I know it’s London but still, 14 people for a tiny kitchen and bathroom, still 6400 a year is insane. There are many more, slightly nicer options in the region of 8-9K. I could feasibly afford this, but I’m not made of money, is it an unnecessary expense. Is it better to shell out more money for a slightly nicer accom in first year, or suck it up and save money because you’re living in one of the most expensive cities in the world and you’re poor.

Thoughts?
Baby_Stitch
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on what standard of accommodation you wish to have alongside budget, I never lived at halls when I attended university as I had my own home, but if I did I would make my decision if I did based on location and price. Do you have a part-time job right now so are you planning to get one?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
23.01%
Excited but a bit nervous (108)
45.19%
Not bothered either way (32)
13.39%
I'm really nervous (44)
18.41%

Watched Threads