smallandcute
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all,

I am struggling to decide between taking a degree in psychology or financial maths or statistics. My career goals is to work in fraud prevention. I so lowish I could do a financial maths and psychology joint honours but cannot seem to find a course that matches.

Thoughts and recommendations? TIA
karolina.green
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there, I am also thinking of doing a Psychology joint honours. Some options for flexible unis with many joint degree options are: University of St Andrews, University of Glasgow, and in general Scottish universities are very flexible. However, another option is going for a the Arts and Sciences degree at UCL, where you can major/minor in Psychology and Statistics. I hope this helps and good luck! Whether in doubt, there is lots of statistics involved in Psychology anyways and is very applicable to many careers (but I'm very biased)!
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by smallandcute)
Hi all,

I am struggling to decide between taking a degree in psychology or financial maths or statistics. My career goals is to work in fraud prevention. I so lowish I could do a financial maths and psychology joint honours but cannot seem to find a course that matches.

Thoughts and recommendations? TIA
Hey smallandcute Considering Scottish unis is a really good way to have an extra bit of flexibility in your degree, as karolina.green has suggested! We normally teach degrees in 4 years rather than 3, meaning your first couple of years can be really broad based and expose you to lots of different subjects. We offer a BA in Psychology & Maths - and some elective options in Maths include Stochastics & Financial Econometrics (Year 3) and Modelling & Simulation with Applications to Financial Derivatives (Year 4) which might be of interest to you and your interest in Financial Maths! I have to confess that I'm by no means a Mathematics expert but the course is really flexible and covers lots of areas that might intrigue you You've also got an opportunity to do a Psychology based work placement in your final year as the course is taught within the Humanities & Social Sciences department. You can check out the course content here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/und...gymathematics/

Hope that helps a little bit! Let me know if I can answer any other questions. I'm sure you'll love wherever you pick to study!!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads