What A-Levels should I pick if I want to study Fine Art at university?

Watch
JackNash
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I have just finished Year 11, and I cannot pick what A-Levels will be right for me. I am determined to study Fine Art (or something similar, like Fine Art with History of Art etc) at a good university (my tops pick are UCL - Slade, any UAL colleges - probably Camberwell or Saint Martins, University of Leeds, Kingston University etc). I am expected to get a Grade 9 in Art and Design, and the rest of my grades are looking pretty good (English Lit/Lang - 8/9, Maths - 6 or 7, Triple Science - 7/7/7).
At first, I chose A-Level Geography and BTEC National Diploma in Art and Design, but then recently changed it (from advice from head of Art at my school) to A-Level Art and Design and the BTEC. My parents think I am mad picking 'Triple Art', and I am unaware what universities will prefer - having a humanities A-Level and a BTEC, or going the full hog and only studying Art for 2 years. I have tried for days at looking at Entry Requirements for different universities, but I find the web pages are very vague and I am struggling to find out the key information.

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks so much!
millie9501
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as you’re studying A-level Art you will definitely be able to get into a university. almost all universities will require a portfolio for fine art as an entry requirement and they will look at that to see your capability. the other subjects you do at A-level will not affect your ability to get into those universities so I’d say just do what you most enjoy !
I’m hopefully studying photography at university next year and as I’ve looked through different art universities i’ve noticed they all just require a good portfolio of work and preferably one A-level relating to creative arts. Hope this helps
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you can’t see the information you are looking for on university websites then call up admissions and ask them directly.

For “triple art” universities normally expect to see either a btec extended diploma or A levels in multiple art subjects (fine art, photography, textiles, graphic design etc). The “overlap” taking an A level and a btec might not offer any benefits as overlapping subjects aren’t always considered as additional qualifications.

You need to check which btec your college is offering. They come in 5 or 6 different sizes worth anything from an AS level to the extended diploma equivalent to 3 A levels.
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
JackNash
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you can’t see the information you are looking for on university websites then call up admissions and ask them directly.

For “triple art” universities normally expect to see either a btec extended diploma or A levels in multiple art subjects (fine art, photography, textiles, graphic design etc). The “overlap” taking an A level and a btec might not offer any benefits as overlapping subjects aren’t always considered as additional qualifications.

You need to check which btec your college is offering. They come in 5 or 6 different sizes worth anything from an AS level to the extended diploma equivalent to 3 A levels.
Thanks for your insight. I was considering emailing admissions anyway, so I am going to give it a go!
JackNash
Rep:
?
(Original post by millie9501)
As long as you’re studying A-level Art you will definitely be able to get into a university. almost all universities will require a portfolio for fine art as an entry requirement and they will look at that to see your capability. the other subjects you do at A-level will not affect your ability to get into those universities so I’d say just do what you most enjoy !
I’m hopefully studying photography at university next year and as I’ve looked through different art universities i’ve noticed they all just require a good portfolio of work and preferably one A-level relating to creative arts. Hope this helps
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads