COVID 19 - Uni wont let me retake the year

Watch
livmccoyoy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I guess I just wanted to reach out and see if there are any other students in a similar situation to me and if so, what are you doing about it?

I have just finished my second year at the University of Brighton, I study Fashion Communication (a very practical course). I can honestly say this year has been the hardest year of my life, trying to manage completing a degree from my bedroom. I have only been into uni (physically) for teaching once this year whole year.The rest has been through online microsoft teams, as i am sure it has been the same for all other students.

I can confidently say that the teaching this year has been a shambles. I have had to get counselling for anxiety and extensions for every project so far because i feel that i have had very little help and guidance. I really feel like my uni has completely disregarded the fact that students were living through a worldwide pandemic, away from home and wanted to carry on as normal. There has been NO extra help for us.

I have managed to pass every module, however, regardless, I feel that the pandemic has really prevented me from alot of practical skills and learning which is a must in fashion and i want to retake the year, but uni are NOT letting me because i have passed !!!!!!

I am unable to do placement, because i cannot afford it. i also dont want to go into final year because i dont feel mentally ready, as non of our grades matter until final year, i want to make sure i am at my best.

i am now having to go through students union to appeal this decision and make a formal complaint as the person who has decided that i cant retake this year, has not taken into consideration the learning lost as a result of the pandemic, rather, a black and white opinion of me passing every module. They said if i am not happy with my grades they have created a 'safety net' which allows you to appeal them, but this is not the point. it is not about the grades, rather the mental health and experience i have struggled with this pqst year and they need to look at students wanting to resit on a case by case basis.

i have been passed from person to person, they have been so unhelpful and i really feel unlistented to.

is anyone else in a similar situation ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (19)
16.96%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (33)
29.46%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.61%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.46%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.79%

Watched Threads