aaysh4907
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My task is to write support or opposition of using the market (and not the NHS) for allocating Covid-19 vaccines to the population.

Could someone help please.
techsnowy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will deliver quality kindly inbox.
BenRyan99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aaysh4907)
My task is to write support or opposition of using the market (and not the NHS) for allocating Covid-19 vaccines to the population.

Could someone help please.
Any allocation in economics can be split into a couple of themes: efficiency, equity and (if you're advanced) strategy proof-ness.

Whether you pick public or private provision to support, your efficiency arguments should be centered around areas like positive externalities competition, information asymmetries adverse selection and moral hazard), etc. If advanced like if you do a-level further maths (decision modules) you could also mention network economics and contagion when allocating vaccines.

Your equity arguments, whether NHS of private should be centred around a few things. Firstly, is there equal access to vaccines under the NHS or market provision? Secondly, if there is then is there equal utilisation of this access among different groups in society? Thirdly, if two people have equal access and utilise this equally, do they receive the same quality of care?

You probably don't need to go into strategy proof-ness at a-level but it essentially is about how in a perfect allocation system there shouldn't be a way to alter how quickly you receive a vaccine. So a market based allocation would be strategy proof because you can't make yourself richer just so you get a vaccine earlier (or at least it's very difficult to). A NHS vaccine rollout is likely strategy proof in the sense that it's based on age which you can't change or underlying health conditions that you wouldn't want to incur just for a vaccine. If they allocated vaccines based on how many close contacts people had however, this wouldn't be strategy proof as there's an incentive to act more recklessly and be a more central node in your social network if that makes sense. You probably wouldn't need to go into this stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
25.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
9.3%
No I am happy with my choice (25)
58.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
6.98%

Watched Threads