amandinesch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Good afternoon,
I am a high school student from France and I saw that Stanford university (US) is offering a law and medicine degree (JD/MD) where you can earn both diplomas. Do you know if they are offering it for undergraduates study? Or if another university is offering it for first-year students?
Thank you.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amandinesch)
Good afternoon,
I am a high school student from France and I saw that Stanford university (US) is offering a law and medicine degree (JD/MD) where you can earn both diplomas. Do you know if they are offering it for undergraduates study? Or if another university is offering it for first-year students?
Thank you.
its postgrad only - neither law nor medicine are available as undergrad degrees in the US.
amandinesch
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
its postgrad only - neither law nor medicine are available as undergrad degrees in the US.
ok thank you! Do you know what major and minor are the best for this type of program?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amandinesch)
ok thank you! Do you know what major and minor are the best for this type of program?
I think the main thing is to complete the premed requirements at a US (or possibly Canadian) university. You can probably take any major you like so long as you do the required courses - worth checking on US forums if there are any requirements for the law part of the degree.
amandinesch
Rep:
?
I think the main thing is to complete the premed requirements at a US (or possibly Canadian) university. You can probably take any major you like so long as you do the required courses - worth checking on US forums if there are any requirements for the law part of the degree.
Ok thank you I’ll look at it!!
ry7xsfa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In the US, there's no requirement of a specific major to go to law school. Common majors of pre-law students include Political Science, History, and English.

Generally the same with medicine, though I'd imagine the natural sciences would all be common majors of choice.

As for the combined programme, it really depends on what Stanford is looking for. If you want to study undergrad in the US too, you may consider a double major if you can handle it, or a major and a minor, but this probably won't be essential. Just make sure that the classes you pick and the things you do throughout your time in university reflect your interest in both areas (e.g. take classes in essay-heavy subjects such as English, History, and Philosophy, alongside natural science classes such as Biology and Chemistry, and maybe even throw in one or two intro CS classes as I've heard they can be helpful for some other classes).

If you're only going to take a single major, though, I'd definitely recommend that you go more of the pre-med route, simply because medicine needs you to prove you have the scientific knowledge and ability to take it, whereas law is more critical thinking and essay-writing than knowledge, so this can be demonstrated more easily through a minor or just other classes.
Last edited by ry7xsfa; 1 month ago
amandinesch
Rep:
?
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
In the US, there's no requirement of a specific major to go to law school. Common majors of pre-law students include Political Science, History, and English.

Generally the same with medicine, though I'd imagine the natural sciences would all be common majors of choice.

As for the combined programme, it really depends on what Stanford is looking for. If you want to study undergrad in the US too, you may consider a double major if you can handle it, or a major and a minor, but this probably won't be essential. Just make sure that the classes you pick and the things you do throughout your time in university reflect your interest in both areas (e.g. take classes in essay-heavy subjects such as English, History, and Philosophy, alongside natural science classes such as Biology and Chemistry, and maybe even throw in one or two intro CS classes as I've heard they can be helpful for some other classes).

If you're only going to take a single major, though, I'd definitely recommend that you go more of the pre-med route, simply because medicine needs you to prove you have the scientific knowledge and ability to take it, whereas law is more critical thinking and essay-writing than knowledge, so this can be demonstrated more easily through a minor or just other classes.
I didn’t even know we could have two majors! I’ll definitely try this. Studying has never been a problem even if it takes all my time!

I guess a sociology (good for law school i guess) and biology majors should be great but I will see depending on each university.

Thank you for your complete answers!!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both law degrees and medical degrees in the US are graduate degrees. Therefore, you need to already have an undergraduate degree to study there.

JD/MD programmes mostly exist as a way to extract more money from rich students. There is no practical way to practice law and medicine simultaneously, and both law and medical degrees are extremely expensive in the US. There seems little reason to pursue that course for anything other than bragging rights, which is a pretty poor reason to pursue any degree(s).

In any case, there are no required prerequisites to do a law degree in the US outside of just having a bachelors degree with strong grades and doing well in the LSAT which is just a general academic aptitude test and has no specific required knowledge.

For medicine at Stanford specifically I don't think they require you to have taken any particular coursework, but I believe they do require at least one year of studying science classes at an accredited American university in the US. Other medical schools normally would require you have taken a 1 year sequence in each of biology, general chemistry, and physics, along with a 1 year sequence in organic chemistry. Some also require some maths (usually calculus and/or statistics) and biochemistry. The MCAT assumes the bio/chem/physics/biochem content, and also I believe has some social and behavioural science material on it, which would normally be required. The one year of studying science in the US is required by all medical schools in the US as far as I'm aware in order for their medical degree to be accredited.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.93%
Excited but a bit nervous (141)
44.9%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.78%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.38%

Watched Threads