JUST WANNA STUDY
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to become a doctor and I want to take four subjects. I will definitely pick math, bio, and chem. However, I am unsure whether to pick economic, politics, or psychology as the fourth one. Perhaps my reasoning behind my choices could give u a clear idea.
Economic: I think it could help me manage my taxes and future financial situation.
Politic.:my father wants to be involved in politics in his country which I Bangladesh but I am worried politics in the UK will only teach laws in the UK.
Psychology: understanding the human mind can help me how to deal with patients.Guys which one shall I choose?
EDEM0978
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They're all nice, respectable essay subjects, really. I'm doing Economics as of right now, and I love it, and I'd recommend it to absolutely anyone, but I bet tons of people in this thread could come and say the exact same for Politics and Psychology.

Economics is sort of mildly maths-based, which does feed into your other subjects well, and I know a lot of people in my Economics class who have a similar A-Level combination to you.
Personally, I'd say either Psychology or Economics, as I think they may be more useful if pursuing a medical field. Consider which one you think you can get the highest grade in, and look at the specifications for each exam board to see which one interests you most.
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd suggest psychology. I did psychology and liked how it had a nice balance between essays, science and a bit of maths. The fact that you are doing biology means you may find the biopsychology chapter (AQA) easier and there were quite a few people in my psychology class and the other class who took biology.
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any questions you have about psychology
zlan223
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JUST WANNA STUDY)
I want to become a doctor and I want to take four subjects. I will definitely pick math, bio, and chem. However, I am unsure whether to pick economic, politics, or psychology as the fourth one. Perhaps my reasoning behind my choices could give u a clear idea.
Economic: I think it could help me manage my taxes and future financial situation.
Politic.:my father wants to be involved in politics in his country which I Bangladesh but I am worried politics in the UK will only teach laws in the UK.
Psychology: understanding the human mind can help me how to deal with patients.Guys which one shall I choose?
Having done the top 3 subjects do you really want to do 4 subjects I fully understand your passion but most medical schools have offers for 3 subjects and a 4th won't do much as far as it looks I'd say switch maths for psychology if you aren't a mad maths fan because it does get icky
JUST WANNA STUDY
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zlan223)
Having done the top 3 subjects do you really want to do 4 subjects I fully understand your passion but most medical schools have offers for 3 subjects and a 4th won't do much as far as it looks I'd say switch maths for psychology if you aren't a mad maths fan because it does get icky
yes .I do.iliek maths.I just want to know which one out of psychology and economic sound appealing?
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is an entire section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

General Guide to Choosing 6th Form subjects - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think Psychology is good
Last edited by Ailurophile03; 3 weeks ago
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would recommend choosing 3 A Levels at most. Universities don't care if you got 3 A's or 5 A*'s at A Levels as long as you get AAA at A Level most universities will be fine with that.

Plus it's better to do 3 A Levels and get AAA or higher than 4 and get AABB which will not get you a place in medicine. The added workload is also something to consider, as it can be a lot as well.
JUST WANNA STUDY
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by zlan223)
I did the taster session and i realise 3 is better.4 will be the end of me
JUST WANNA STUDY
Rep:
?
(Original post by SB1234567890)
I'd suggest psychology. I did psychology and liked how it had a nice balance between essays, science and a bit of maths. The fact that you are doing biology means you may find the biopsychology chapter (AQA) easier and there were quite a few people in my psychology class and the other class who took biology.
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any questions you have about psychology
how many hours did you study for psychology after school every day?
JUST WANNA STUDY
Rep:
?
(Original post by EDEM0978)
They're all nice, respectable essay subjects, really. I'm doing Economics as of right now, and I love it, and I'd recommend it to absolutely anyone, but I bet tons of people in this thread could come and say the exact same for Politics and Psychology.

Economics is sort of mildly maths-based, which does feed into your other subjects well, and I know a lot of people in my Economics class who have a similar A-Level combination to you.
Personally, I'd say either Psychology or Economics, as I think they may be more useful if pursuing a medical field. Consider which one you think you can get the highest grade in, and look at the specifications for each exam board to see which one intera
as u did economics can u tell me whether the people who did not do economics alevel would be able to manage themselves financially?
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
how many hours did you study for psychology after school every day?
I never did a set schedule of a set number of hours for revision but I probably worked too much as I'm a bit of a workaholic. Overall, as I tried to divide my time equally between my subjects, in terms of frees, I probably around 6 of them revising psychology, I would do at least 4 hours after school every third day (I liked to dedicate each day to a specific subject unless I had assessments coming up or assignments), which increased during lockdown, in Summer holidays (only because my end of year 12 exams had been postponed to the first week back) and throughout year 13, and if I had dedicated a day in the weekend to psychology then I would start between 9 and 11 and finish at the same time as a school day
Sorry if this is really confusing but I hope it helps
Roxy226
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Biology and psychology a levels will really complement each other. I'm currently studying medicine and also did 4 a levels but my extra one was further maths purely out of interest. Overall I'd say choose a 4th a level that you'll really enjoy as it'll get VERY tough in year 13.
EDEM0978
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
as u did economics can u tell me whether the people who did not do economics alevel would be able to manage themselves financially?
I mean...yes? The vast majority of people don't do Economics A-Level, but it doesn't mean they all spiral into crippling debt. There's other online resources which can advise people on how to manage their day-to-day finances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
5.91%
Uncertainty around my education (23)
11.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (23)
11.33%
Lack of purpose or motivation (32)
15.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (13)
6.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (17)
8.37%
Financial worries (10)
4.93%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
2.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (15)
7.39%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.96%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (24)
11.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (15)
7.39%

Watched Threads