I’m torn between two courses and I don’t know what to do

Watch
anananas23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m starting uni this year and I’d previously applied to do Psychology and got an unconditional offer to do that so I was all prepared to start that course. But then a few months ago I decided I wanted to apply to change courses to adult nursing after volunteering in a hospital as part of my college course.

I kind of just wanted to see if I could get a place but wasn’t 100% sure I’d be able to as I’d already confirmed my place for Psychology.
I ended up getting an offer for that too but I haven’t finished my medical and all that so I haven’t got a guaranteed place yet but I’m pretty sure that will all be fine.

Anyway I just don’t know what to do as the reason I’d applied for Psychology was because I really enjoy it and I do believe I’d like the course. But then I thought nursing would be a really good career path and I thought I could see myself working in a hospital. I just don’t want to regret changing courses if I start and don’t like it, I know I could just switch after the first year but I don’t rly want to be a year behind. I’m also worried I won’t get the same uni experience doing nursing as you’re working long hours on placement etc.

This will be the first time I’m living away from home and I want my uni experience to be good and I just don’t want to be regretting my choice for the first year and wishing I’d done the other course.

Any advice would be appreciated as I’m stressing out about this lol
Vicky55
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will get the same awesome Uni experience, sure harder courses which are more likely to provide you with a job are more difficult and require more effort. But don't think that just because it's more difficult, your time at Uni isn't going to be fun! Medicine and Vet med students also enjoy their university experience, they still get to go out and have fun and relax and go travel. So if medicine students can have fun, why would you not? You will have fun whatever course you do and wherever you go, I honestly really wouldn't worry about that at all.

Can you see yourself doing a career related to psychology? Or is it just the idea of it that's enticing? Do you have any insight/experience in the psychology field?

You've had experience in the nursing field, and you enjoyed it! I'd say that's a great indicator that you'd enjoy working that job. I wanted to do vet med, it's been my dream, but once I went to do clinical experience I realized that's not what I wanted to do.

I'm not sure where you could get experience for psychology so you could see what it's like, but you can look up possible jobs you can get with it and then the things you have to do in that job, which may be useful. Do this with the nursing degree as well. Look up everything that may be important, work hours, salary, job roles, companies, goals. Read other people's experiences.

But even if you choose one and then a year in you decide you don't like it, it's not the end of the world. So many students change courses and unis after the first year. I have a friend who really enjoyed physics, he was great at it at A level and then he went to Uni and suddenly it was the most boring thing in the world and now he's changing courses. You don't know until you try, unfortunately. I really wish we knew what was best for us. So do your research, then choose the one you'd most enjoy doing after Uni, preferably also enjoy it during the course ofc, but you only do a degree once or twice and then that can decide where you can go work after.
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As Vicky said go with adult nursing as you have experience in this

As a dual adult nurse & midwife I would perhaps say that you'll enjoy nursing over psychology but it upto yourself which one to pick.

Pyshology jobs can be difficult to get compared to likes of nurses you can find a job in any area of it and do well.
Vicky55
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
As Vicky said go with adult nursing as you have experience in this

As a dual adult nurse & midwife I would perhaps say that you'll enjoy nursing over psychology but it upto yourself which one to pick.

Pyshology jobs can be difficult to get compared to likes of nurses you can find a job in any area of it and do well.
I agree it's easier to find jobs with nursing But I don't say that the OP should go with adult nursing, I'm trying to get them to ask these important questions from themselves so they can decide what is better for them personally.
I don't know you OP, I don't know what is important to you and which path you'd prefer doing, it's all up to you what you decide, just make sure it's an informed decision, that's why I recommend doing as much research as you can and not rushing the decision.
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vicky55)
I agree it's easier to find jobs with nursing But I don't say that the OP should go with adult nursing, I'm trying to get them to ask these important questions from themselves so they can decide what is better for them personally.
I don't know you OP, I don't know what is important to you and which path you'd prefer doing, it's all up to you what you decide, just make sure it's an informed decision, that's why I recommend doing as much research as you can and not rushing the decision.
Vicky
Ok I actually just misread it what you said to OP and I do apologies ok as wasn't intentional.

Yes I do agree they should research things on both area's.
As you said to If it takes them another year then do this and make sure that theory are thoroughly understanding things.

Pay as a newly qualified nurse regardless of which field they go into is same for all new staff at bottom of band 5 payscale depending on where in UK they decide to work as one part of UK pays there staff more.

If OP wants more details on adult nursing then they are most welcome to PM message me and will give them what information on it I can.
anananas23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the advice! I honestly just wanted to do psychology as I thought I’d like the course I don’t know what my career path would be. So maybe nursing would be the better option..
Vicky55
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Vicky
Ok I actually just misread it what you said to OP and I do apologies ok as wasn't intentional.

Yes I do agree they should research things on both area's.
As you said to If it takes them another year then do this and make sure that theory are thoroughly understanding things.

Pay as a newly qualified nurse regardless of which field they go into is same for all new staff at bottom of band 5 payscale depending on where in UK they decide to work as one part of UK pays there staff more.

If OP wants more details on adult nursing then they are most welcome to PM message me and will give them what information on it I can.
No problem at all! That's very kind of you!
Vicky55
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anananas23)
Thank you so much for the advice! I honestly just wanted to do psychology as I thought I’d like the course I don’t know what my career path would be. So maybe nursing would be the better option..
Would you like to discuss the pros and cons of each choice with us?
Vicky55
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anananas23)
I just went through a very difficult decision making as well, I had to decide between 2 courses as well just a few weeks ago, I know it would've helped me to have someone to discuss the merits of each with, so I'm definitely here for you if you'd like to get into the details!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads