Tips on losing weight? Give me everything you've got :)

Watch
AnonaMooMoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
My partner has a weight problem because his family always cooked him unhealthy food and now he only knows of unhealthy dishes.

I tried to show him healthy dishes from my family/country but he extremely hates my food even though my food is a perfect balance of healthy and tasty - he does not agree.

I gave him some healthy recipes from Jamie oliver and online, but it just made our shopping bill sky rocket so we quit doing recipes like that because even the 'healthy meals on a budget' are oddly expensive despite their title haha.

I have also struggled to get him to do simple things such as going for walks because he says his feet always hurt. He has been a stubborn one.

I just went through a busy 6 months of University and job so he has been our nominated Chef bless him and so I have been eating his food have actually put on 2 stones of weight as a result.

Now it is Summer holidays and I am free of University. I am planning a crackdown on our lifestyle. We have already signed up for the gym.

Do you have any tips on losing weight? Give me all the tips you have!

Examples/Answer prompts
How much times should we got to the gym in a week?
How long should we spend at the gym each time?
What are some morning exercises we can do quickly before heading to work?
What are some quick evening exercises we can do?
What are some healthy foods, for example if you tell me eggs are healthy i can look into egg recipes?
What is a website that gives good healthy recipes?
What is the healthies vegetable or salad?
What foods should we avoid?
What foods or oils are the worst foods?
What are things that are exercise but may not feel like exercise because maybe they are fun?
What are ideas of exercise couples can do together?
What exercises or activities compliment gym workouts?
What are healthy snacks I can replace all his snacks with?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AnonaMooMoo)
My partner has a weight problem because his family always cooked him unhealthy food and now he only knows of unhealthy dishes.

I tried to show him healthy dishes from my family/country but he extremely hates my food even though my food is a perfect balance of healthy and tasty - he does not agree.

I gave him some healthy recipes from Jamie oliver and online, but it just made our shopping bill sky rocket so we quit doing recipes like that because even the 'healthy meals on a budget' are oddly expensive despite their title haha.

I have also struggled to get him to do simple things such as going for walks because he says his feet always hurt. He has been a stubborn one.

I just went through a busy 6 months of University and job so he has been our nominated Chef bless him and so I have been eating his food have actually put on 2 stones of weight as a result.

Now it is Summer holidays and I am free of University. I am planning a crackdown on our lifestyle. We have already signed up for the gym.

It's great that you're wanting to be healthier, but unfortunately unless your partner wants to lose weight and has that motivation, you can't really get him to. He has to want to. So you can definitely make a healthier lifestyle for yourself, but whether he will follow suit and do the same is another thing. Maybe seeing you exercise/eat well/lose weight will give him motivation later.
As often as your schedules allow. There's not really a certain amount of times a week you should go.
Until you feel like you've done enough or as long as your schedules allow.
Look up quick morning workouts on YouTube, there will be loads 10-15 minutes long that you can fit in.
Same as above, look up quick workout videos and pick one that's as long as the time you have available. Even just walking up and down the stairs a few times e.g. whilst you wait for the kettle to boil is good movement.
What are some healthy foods, for example if you tell me eggs are healthy i can look into egg recipes?
Fruits, veggies, eggs, anything that's not processed to death. Things with lots of protein e.g. meat or meat alternatives
I personally quite like BBC Good Food, I get a lot of my recipe ideas from here. If you like the look of a recipe but maybe not the exact ingredients, you can adapt it to suit your own e.g. if the recipe says full fat yoghurt, you can typically swap that for a non-fat one if you'd prefer
There isn't one. All vegetables are good, it's just down to what you prefer. I personally like getting the bags of bistro salad leaves from Asda, they have some beetroot in. I then add some plain roast chicken, cherry tomatoes and cucumber with a little honey mustard dressing and that makes up my lunch. Sometimes if I'm feeling fancy I'll add avocado / feta cheese for some extra zing. Try to minimise the amount of dressing you put on a salad, and as long as you put veggies in it, it'll be a healthy salad.
Things high in sugar and fat really. Most foods use the traffic light system on the packaging, so get them as green as you can and you're good. Some foods may say high in fat, but they might be good fats. Like avocadoes, they'd be as red as lava on the traffic light label but the fats are good ones so that's okay. Avoid junk food like crisps, chocolates, sweets.
Same as above, anything really processed or high in salt, sugar or fats. Typically, try to cook from scratch if you can as then you know all the ingredients in there and it's typically better for you. Supermarkets sell spray bottles of oil, I think they're called Fry Light. They're a good way to cook with oil without smothering your food in oil.
What are things that are exercise but may not feel like exercise because maybe they are fun?
I've heard things like Zumba classes are fun, you can find videos on YouTube for that. Or people enjoy tennis, badminton etc. as they find it fun
You can do anything together really as long as you both want to do it, tennis would be a good one
Anything really, any movement is good movement. Something like yoga would be good to stretch your muscles out. I personally like the Yoga with Adriene videos on YouTube
Salted popcorn is a good healthy snack, I live off that most days. Carrot sticks / celery sticks with houmous is another yummy one. Nuts are good too - almonds, cashews, walnuts etc. But really, try to not snack between meals. If you have to, then have some fruit like a banana, apple or something like that.

Don't go cold turkey with the unhealthy food, still give yourselves a treat a couple of times a week, everything in moderation. Really, you'll lose weight by eating less and moving more. Burn more calories than you consume and you'll be grand. Hope this helps, and good luck
Sam A
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
'What' you eat isn't as important as 'how much' you eat. Even if you and your partner over eat on 'healthy' food, you guys will still gain weight.

Secondly, every single acquaintance I have known who is overweight has something in common: they eat when they are not hungry.

You guys need to only eat when your are hungry, and stop eating when you are satisfied. Even though I love exercise, exercise is not the answer to loosing weight (if that is what you guys want to do).

Just my two cents, I hope things go well for you guys. 💙
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Examples/Answer prompts
- 2 - 3 times/week is my personal recommondation.
- 45 -60 minutes.
- Situps, pushups sidesteps jogging/running on the spot.
- Pushups, situps, lunges, squats, pullups, chinups.
- Eggs are kind of healthy but you should limit yourself to no more than 4-7/week.
- lots, bbc food is a nice one.
- neither both are healthy with some healthier than others.
- None, always eat a little of what you like from time to time to stop you craving it like mad.
- Saturated oils are the worst, monounsaturated are the best. Agood tip for using less oil if you are frying is to either use an air fryer or warm up the pan before you put in the oil.
- For my that would be walking, skipping(jumping rope), and cycling. Walking to the shops to get groceries as an ecample, forms of walking through nature and taking in the nature makes it a fun thing to do.
- Cycling, tennis/badminton/table tennis/squash. Walking, running, martial arts.
- Depends on what you are doing in the gym. Say you spent a workout in the gym lifting weights you wouldn't want to then do upper body exercises to compliment it, but rather something that works other muscle groups like your legs as an example.

- Depends on what his snacks are, personally I replaced crisps with nuts, but you can buy vegetable crisp things or even make your own. If he likes to eat chocolate you could try to get him to eat more dark chocolate, or try to get him to limit the chocolate he eats as an example instead of munching an entire bar break it down into smaller pieces.

Afterthoughts : Alot of people are good at "drinking their calories", so perhaps you could encourage him to drink more water instead of sugary drinks, but don't try to get him to do an all or nothing approach just try to get him to make small changes 1 change at a time. Also whatever you decide on eating please make sure you are getting a good balance of nutrients, vitamins, minerals as an example.
If he or you like to drink milk in your coffee/tea for example and are using cows milk swapping it to a plant based milk could be a good idea.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Eat less, move more.

I've been going swimming 4 or 5 times a week for the past few weeks and it's really enjoyable. I like swimming so it doesn't feel like exercise and I can push myself to go further, faster in order to increase the difficulty. I would say that portion size is more important than what you eat. You could eat a Big Mac every day as long as it fits within your calorie goal, not the best idea but it can be done.
Lucifer323
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Examples/Answer prompts
Burgers
Pizza
Chips
Curry
Lasagne

Cake & Ice-cream
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (215)
56.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.09%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (44)
11.52%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.64%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
6.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
4.45%

Watched Threads